Looking for Very Experienced Mottled Bantam Cochin advice

I would like to see a splash mottled, if anyone has a pic.
smile.png

blue x blue will get you 25% splash, 50% black, 25% blue mottleds. They do not wash out over time, in reference to base feather color, but the mottling becomes more and more over time, so their overall look becomes lighter, but the basic feather color is not changing.

Put a splash mottled roo over some splash mottled hens just as a special for us BYCers and auction off the eggs and you will see what happens! You will be pleasently surprised how much six or ten eggs will sell for.

Oh, and while we are talking about what to do here, might as well say what NOT to do, just in case you didn't think of it. NEVER EVER EVER do a cross where you will produce a splash that you don't know if it is mottled or not, or at least don't sell the eggs or the splashes for mottle breeders unless you disclose that you don't know if it is or carries mottled to the buyer. Breeders of mottleds would always want to know if the bird is actually mottled or not. So don't cross any solid blues on mottled splashes and don't use splashes for selling eggs unless you know for sure, have test bred and hatched a good number of eggs from them crossed on known mottleds to make sure all the babies feather out mottled.

Quote:
Definitely, or keeping splash and splash together, I know I'd love to get some splashes! I have nothing but black mottleds
hmm.png

Splash X Splash will wash out the color

I was wondering if the blue x blue washes out over time or if that will be ok to breed together

Splash x splash won't wash it out if you then mix the splash bird with a black. That's what I want, a splash to cross with my blacks.
smile.png

Quote:
Splash X Splash will wash out the color

I was wondering if the blue x blue washes out over time or if that will be ok to breed together

Splash x splash won't wash it out if you then mix the splash bird with a black. That's what I want, a splash to cross with my blacks.
smile.png

If you mix the splash with black then you get blue. That is what all my blues came from this year. Or are just saying that you are looking for any splash to make blues with? I was saying that the resulting offspring of an all splash mating will be lighter in blue feathers than the parents. I'm not sure if that matters when using them to make blues though.

Quote:
smile.png

If you mix the splash with black then you get blue. That is what all my blues came from this year. Or are just saying that you are looking for any splash to make blues with? I was saying that the resulting offspring of an all splash mating will be lighter in blue feathers than the parents. I'm not sure if that matters when using them to make blues though.

Yes, I'm wanting a splash to make blues with, I know that if you repeatedly breed splash to splash the color washes out.
smile.png

I think if someone had true splash mottled eggs listed, they would sell like hotcakes! That is the best way to get blue mottleds, for those of us who only have blacks.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think if someone had true splash mottled eggs listed, they would sell like hotcakes! That is the best way to get blue mottleds, for those of us who only have blacks.

Easy to make blue mottled. Breed best black mottled to good quality blue. Take nicest blue offspring & breed back to black mottled.
wink.png

The problem with using splash mottled in a breeding program is the fact that it is really hard to tell how much mottling that they have. I still think the best idea is using blue over black, or black over blue. It will let you know what kind of mottling that you are breeding.

Back to CochinCoops original question, and trying to compile everyone's responses together, is this then the result of Blue Mottled x Blue Mottled?

50% Blue Mottled
25% Black Mottled
25% Splash Mottled

(Now, if someone can just tell me the % of hens/roos I'll get!!)

Back
Top Bottom