Looking for Your Best Portable Dust Bath Solutions!

getdownfarm

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2016
Michigan
Hey everyone!

I'm in the midst of designing an inexpensive and effective portable dust bath for our birds and I'd love to see photos of yours. We have a sandbox that works well when the chickens are near it (photo below) but I rotate them around our pasture and it's not always in the rotation. I would love to see your ideas! Thanks!

Anita
Get Down Farm
check out our laying hen contest!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.53.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.53.20 AM.png
    793.5 KB · Views: 41
Hi @getdownfarm :frow Welcome To BYC

Hmm...mine dig their own holes in the run:)

I do see your point to have something portable if you are constantly moving them. Depends on how big your rotation areas are, but you could use a wheelbarrow, just add some dirt, sand, ash, etc. Would be easy to move.

Just my thoughts.

Mine make their own dust bath heaven underneath the porch. My cat loves to poop in it.

Just pile up some dirt wherever they are and they will use it.

I made a makeshift one using a plastic bin we had from a birthday part that held drinks. I made the raised one so they would have it available in the snow and rain without worry over the run being a giant mud puddle

I use a small black plastic tub for mixing concrete. The bottom corners are rounded to make mixing easier. I got it at Lowe's. I got the next size up, drilled two holes in the lip and attached a rope. I fill it with garden waste and pull it around the yard like a sled when I do yard work. I think you could do the same but just fill it with sand. Maybe drill a few holes for drainage and line the bottom with landscape cloth to keep the sand from leaking out when you move it.

Back
Top Bottom