Looking to add another chicken...but not sure...

vandambo

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Hello from Martinez, California! My name's Vanessa and I'm a returning member. It's been awhile, since I've had a chicken (2012) but now am looking after "Daisy Mazie". My daughter went to the County Fair and returned after rescuing a pullet. She was placed and left in a box after who knows how long, from not being retrieved by the new owner. When my daughter inquired about it, they didn't want to put the pullet back in with the others being transported. She was interested in what the outcome would be for the girl and then came home with her. She came to my house, announcing she had a present for me SMH...

Ok, so now I have a pullet. She's rather large for being about 5 mos old. Doesn't lay yet. She was told she's a Wyandotte...but to me she's clearly some mix, maybe Ameraucana(?) She's very skittish and quite the escape artist...she's also whipsmart, highly intelligent and 🎼 she can fly, she can fly, she can fly 🎶. I've already seen her go from ground zero to 6 ft high and then catapult herself into the back neighbors yard, before flying into the next door neighbors yard. I've got more on her but the reason I'm here is;

I'd like to get her a companion or two, in the hopes to calm her down...BUT very concerned about managing the introduction and subsequent pecking order trials that may ensue. Previously my experience as a backyard chicken owner was with my Beloved Lucy, a two year beautiful Naked Neck. She was a rescue that took to me and my dog and cat and provided beautiful large pinkish brown eggs when she wasn't broody. She was the penultimate backyard chicken and I loved her an awful lot! Someone opened my gate and placed two young pitbull mixes into my yard, after finding them running loose on the street. In turn, they ripped my Lucy in two, she was free range and by the time I made it home, she was barely alive...it was a terrible lesson in the vulnerability of these birds. I couldn't have been more miserable about what happened to my Lucy and after the ER, and vets got involved, it turned into a case, where the city animal control, police and local government, as well as the SPCA, filed charges and won. Sadly the dogs were euthanized, but such is the outcome when owner's don't manage their responsibilities.

My questions for anyone listening:
  • Is there suggested best practices for adding another pullet or chicken to the mix?
  • Would a certain breed be better over others?
  • Does age matter for adding a new chicken...younger or older better?
My coop is big enough, but my run is best for no more than 4 chickens...I'd rather stick to getting only 1 or 2 more as I'm single and really don't eat that many eggs. This is more to enjoy them and give them a little place to roam as we both enjoy our time together.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and your patience with me, not having the time to go through all the files and to find the answer in the forum.
Vanessa
Tailfeather.jpeg
peekaboo DM.jpeg

I would do an ISO or in search of pullets at the feed store. Often times, this time of year, people who got pullets, got a couple extra in case something died, and then they didn't...so they have some extras.

I think 2 would be excellent, if they are close to the same age, and similar size, there might be a bit of bluster, but I would really expect it to settle rather quickly. I have had very good luck, in letting the original bird out of the coop/run and locking her out, and the others in for a day, feeding along the fence. Then letting the original in as close to dark as possible. The urge to fight often is less than the urge to roost.

Letting the new ones in the coop/run allows them to explore without being chased, they find the feed bowl and develop a little territorial rights. Works well for me.

Mrs K

She looks like an EE. Any photos or measurements for both coop and run? Integration favors space - it gives birds room to get away from each other, room to fence off space if needed, room for clutter to break line of sight, room for multiple feeders/waterers, etc. If you normally (or will) allow the bird(s) to free range in the yard all day, then run size may be slightly less of an issue.

I would do an ISO or in search of pullets at the feed store. Often times, this time of year, people who got pullets, got a couple extra in case something died, and then they didn't...so they have some extras.

I think 2 would be excellent, if they are close to the same age, and similar size, there might be a bit of bluster, but I would really expect it to settle rather quickly. I have had very good luck, in letting the original bird out of the coop/run and locking her out, and the others in for a day, feeding along the fence. Then letting the original in as close to dark as possible. The urge to fight often is less than the urge to roost.
th
Letting the new ones in the coop/run allows them to explore without being chased, they find the feed bowl and develop a little territorial rights. Works well for me.

Mrs K
Thank you for your tips Mrs. K! I need to make a trip to the local Feed Store anyway...give me a chance to get there sooner than later!

She looks like an EE. Any photos or measurements for both coop and run? Integration favors space - it gives birds room to get away from each other, room to fence off space if needed, room for clutter to break line of sight, room for multiple feeders/waterers, etc. If you normally (or will) allow the bird(s) to free range in the yard all day, then run size may be slightly less of an issue.
For now Daisy Mae is free range with a small fenced in 50SF garden, where she spends most of the afternoon taking dirt baths and staying safe from the neighbors cats that use the fence as a thoroughfare.

This weekend, I'll be putting together her coop and run. Again this is all so impromptu...children like mine, even as adults love bringing home animals!

If an EE is a mix, then yes. Daughter confirmed today, they told her Daisy is a Wyandotte/Ameraucana.

For now Daisy Mae is free range with a small fenced in 50SF garden, where she spends most of the afternoon taking dirt baths and staying safe from the neighbors cats that use the fence as a thoroughfare.

This weekend, I'll be putting together her coop and run. Again this is all so impromptu...children like mine, even as adults love bringing home animals!

If an EE is a mix, then yes. Daughter confirmed today, they told her Daisy is a Wyandotte/Ameraucana.
EEs are mixed birds that are bred to produce a variety of egg colors, so that makes sense.

Once you get the coop and run together, post some photos and we can help with tips from there.

Back
Top Bottom