Looking to adopt 2 pigeon hens in/around CT

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Wallingford, CT
I've currently got four adopted pigeons; three cocks and a newly adopted hen (who I didn't know was a hen until yesterday). She has chosen to pair up with one of my boys and it's causing some problems in my flock. I'd like to find two hens who need a home, breed doesn't matter, but they must be at least somewhat flighted. My pigeons live very peacefully with my chickens, but I just need them to be able to get up out of the way and onto their perches, into their nest boxes, etc. I'll gladly send photos of my setup and my birds (actually, there are tons of pics if you follow the link in my signature line!). I'm not looking to purchase birds, but rather adopt some in need, though I don't mind at all paying adoption fees. Thank you!

Edited to add that I have found one hen to adopt. Still looking for the second one!

Last edited:
Hi Rachel, I'm in CT too....I have 3 ring neck doves I would like to rehome. One pair and their white female chick. Too bad they aren't pigeons. I think they would add to your "problems" but if you would like them let me know. I am wondering if they could live with my chickens...my first chicks arrive next week. What do you think?

Hello, there:) Yes, I think doves would end up getting their tiny butts kicked, but thank you! I'm not sure whether you could keep them with your chickens or not, but if people successfully do it with pigeons, why not doves? Are they hardy and cold tolerant like most pigeons? If so, I think the most important things are to make sure the doves have plenty of perches, maybe two nestboxes and their own food/water up high and out of the chickens' reach. My chickens really don't pay much mind to the pigeons. Beside, the pigeons are smart enough to know when they're too close for comfort and they're very quick to get out of the way. It seems like the chickens know they aren't much of a threat and so they don't really treat them like another chicken. Do you have a coop built already? If so, you could let the doves get accustomed to it first. That way when your chicks are feathered out and ready to move outside they'll be entering the doves' territory and not the other way around (though my pij were introduced second and that was super easy with no problems). I have all of my pigeon accomodations set up in the run. If you'd like to see photos of the setup I'd be more than happy to send or post them, just ask!

Nice that you have found one female. There are alot of pigeon guys in the Southington area, unfortunately I can't remember their names for you.

Thanks for the ideas. The coop is going to be a part of a shed and then a pen added. The shed is due in two weeks and then I have to build the pen myself--hopefully hubby has time to help. I also thought of putting the doves in a few weeks before the chickens. Unfortunately I don't want anymore babies and putting in nest boxes would be a big risk. It only takes two weeks for eggs to hatch...AND I'm sure I would miss collecting the eggs. Also I have a similar situation to yours-2 females & 1 male.

I have checked out your pictures already
big_smile.png
Your set up looks great. I love your Betta!

Thanks for your help. I was so excited about my chicks....I have waited 2 years for them. But now that they are on their way in am SO nervous. I may be posting some of those I-need-a-reply-NOW posts....
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Rachel, while I was at the feed store today picking up my organic chicken starter, I found a flyer posted with a guys phone number on it. He has pigeon for sale. If you're interested I can PM you his name and number.

KJ

Back
Top Bottom