Looking to expand: open-roof aviary?

le_bwah

Crowing
6 Years
May 1, 2018
Boise, ID
My Coop
My Coop
I've been doing the quail math and it looks like I'm gonna need a bigger cage. Two of my young hens showed broody behavior last summer (which I may have interrupted with frequent handling :() and I would LOVE if they could give me some chicks next year (and if they don't hatch out their own, I sure as heck will). The problem is that I'd like to keep their habitat at around 3-4 sqr ft per bird, and doubling or tripling the population in their current enclosure won't let that happen.

I've started on some designs that I could tack on to the existing structure, that the quail would be able to move freely between. I really want to get it put up before the snow starts so I can plant in the spring, but I'm running into the question of whether or not to put a solid roof on the thing. This is what I'm thinking of right now (new on the left, old on the right):

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.49.14 PM.png

The hope would be to plant a grassy garden in the expansion and keep it open to the elements. Anyone done anything like this or seen it done successfully? Am I underestimating the mud factor or overestimating how much the quail will care for the exposure? I could put on clear plastic roofing panels if I had to (just don't want to put it on as an afterthought).

Any experience/ideas would be very welcome!

We don't have a solid roof at all. There is a large plastic bin that we cut doors in and turned upside down. It's used regularly. We also have a wood lean to type thing and an area with solid cover where the feed and water are. Lots of space to spread out and get solid shelter from rain. We don't get snow though.

Thank you, I hadn't considered a "hoop coop" design. I would only need to buy the cattle panels, and visibility might be better. Hmm...

We don't have a solid roof at all. There is a large plastic bin that we cut doors in and turned upside down. It's used regularly. We also have a wood lean to type thing and an area with solid cover where the feed and water are. Lots of space to spread out and get solid shelter from rain. We don't get snow though.

Thanks for the anecdote, I was worried about shoving them into a permanent mud-pit and/or scabbing on a roof after the fact. I suppose I could always tarp up for snow.

Back
Top Bottom