Looking to get a parrot. Advice needed =)

sarbee42

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Winchester, Ontario
I've been looking into getting a parrot for a while now. Just would like some thoughts from others who have had them or have them currently. I've been looking at indian ring necks and have been facinated by them. I do understand they can lead very long lives and am willing to commit. Just a few questions:
-Would it be best to adopt one or get one from a breeder who has been handfed and is ready to go to a new home?
-How trainable are they? I work from home so I am here constantly and would love to have someone to talk with
-How are they with children? I have two so would like something that is friendly and that they can enjoy as well.

Not looking jump and get one tomorrow. This would be in a few months or possibly even a year when my youngest is off to school. Just would like some thoughts and experiences from others to see what they're like. Not looking into getting a pair or breeding so would be a family pet (male or female wouldn't matter to me at all) I'd love to see pictures as well.
Thanks in advance!

Adopt is the best, parrots outlive their owner, But the dowm side you might get one with troulbles, like biting screaming, not wanting to be loved (petted) if you find one spend many hours with it before you take it home, I mean a lot of time!!! Ask question to rescue place, ask a lot and not just one person but the people that help out with the birds.
I have never own a ring neck, never took care of one either here's a site that can help you
Bird channel.com they deal with parrots and you can talk to someone that owns them.
Some parrots ARE NOT FOR MANY PEOPLE OR WITH KIDS!!!!
Here is some of the things that all parrot will do scream, bit, drop their food on the floor lol they love playing that game and dander can you deal with messes?
I would get a cockatail, first you have kids the tails can be very friendly and they will not snap a finger off.
Parrots you will learn is not a family pet by no means!!! They are, and you are a flock to them.THEY OWN YOU you don't own them.lol I have many parrots,and I just love them to death, but they own me. :D
They are as smart as a 5 year old child.getting a cockatail you can learn from them,they are smart, funny and very loving, most tails love everyone, with the right background they had(as the breeder hand raised it right they will believe that humans are their flock.)
Some parrot breed are a one person bird, they will bond with only one person in your family the others are going to get bit.
learn about the breed even a cockatail, or the ring neck see if they will fit into your family.
I breed cockatails but I spend many hours with the baby's showing them that humans are a flock members, they turn out very loving and best of all they are not going to live in a cage for a very long life because they bit.
Just study and learn about parrots and what is best for your family.

Thanks! I'll be doing more research before getting one. My husband and I would both love to have one but we need to make sure we're ready for it. Researching will help and I might be able to find someone close by that could help me get some exposure to them some more before making a choice.

If you go to birdchannel.com
look under profile birds or it will say vote something like that
Look at the breed that you want people show Pics of their buddy then read the comments its so funny. You see its the birds talking telling their silly and funny story's of what they did to their mom and dad or human kids.of course its the humans typing,acting like their birds.
Some of mine are in this breed cockatoo name lady, with very funny storys

I loved the hawk-headed parrot at the aviary I worked at. I've read good things about their pet qualities, but they are not a commonly kept breed. Might be worth looking at in addition to looking at and working with rescue birds.

Ps others say hawk-heads tend to be very aggressive and bites. All I can say was the old girl at the aviary was a very pleasant bird.

The aracaris and toucans are supposed to be good but expensive pets. They do not have the allergy irritating dander that parrots do...or the bite! There was a keel billed toucan at the aviary who had been a pet at one point. She was a great bird! We weren't allowed to pet her because they were trying to get a wild caught male to bond with her (surprise of surprises, that pairing didn't work...). She would follow you around and make noises straight out of the Predator movies. She would try to perch on you, but again, we were told to discourage that behavior. Always felt sad for her as she was so strongly human bonded. She was very curious and very cute!

Last edited:
Thanks! I did a search on a local buy/sell/trade website and the toucans are selling for $5000 and up. Just not a possibility for us right now even though I would love to have one.
I have a friend with a year old green cheek conure for sale. I've been there several times with my kids and the little guy just loves them. He was hand raised and is very well mannered but she doesn't have the time for him (she had 12 babies hatch all at once and all the others except him and his brother have sold). He might be a good option since we already "know" him and he's what sort of drew me into looking into getting a parrot
smile.png

I loved the hawk-headed parrot at the aviary I worked at. I've read good things about their pet qualities, but they are not a commonly kept breed. Might be worth looking at in addition to looking at and working with rescue birds.
Ps others say hawk-heads tend to be very aggressive and bites. All I can say was the old girl at the aviary was a very pleasant bird.
The aracaris and toucans are supposed to be good but expensive pets. They do not have the allergy irritating dander that parrots do...or the bite! There was a keel billed toucan at the aviary who had been a pet at one point. She was a great bird! We weren't allowed to pet her because they were trying to get a wild caught male to bond with her (surprise of surprises, that pairing didn't work...). She would follow you around and make noises straight out of the Predator movies. She would try to perch on you, but again, we were told to discourage that behavior. Always felt sad for her as she was so strongly human bonded. She was very curious and very cute!

That sounds like a great buy! You know he is socialized, he knows you guys, and green cheeks can be quieter than other parrots (though I personally find all conure screeches to be pretty hard on my ears due to the pitch). Conures in general can be quite snuggly and playful birds, and When they chomp down, their bites are never terribly painful (this is relative though, as compared to say, a vulture bite!). The conures I've known have also avoided becoming one person birds if given adequate socialization, which sounds great for a family situation.

PS I forgot to recommend lineolated parakeets or hand reared Bourke's parakeets as some other possibilities to look into. :)

Last edited:
I don't have any advice for you, but have you looked up indian ringneck parakeets on Youtube? There's a really cute one named Marnie that made me want one, but I'm planning on getting a cockatiel instead because we're trying for a baby, so for the same reasons Ladybird said about kids. Later in life like after our future kids are older, I might revisit the idea of an indian ringneck.

I'm hoping to get my Cockatiel(maybe two) for my birthday in June of next year, only if all of my rabbits are spayed and neutered by then and living together so my ferret nation will be empty for the bird, and if I'm not "knocked up" before then. :p

I've been looking into getting a parrot for a while now. Just would like some thoughts from others who have had them or have them currently. I've been looking at indian ring necks and have been facinated by them. I do understand they can lead very long lives and am willing to commit. Just a few questions:
-Would it be best to adopt one or get one from a breeder who has been handfed and is ready to go to a new home?
-How trainable are they? I work from home so I am here constantly and would love to have someone to talk with
-How are they with children? I have two so would like something that is friendly and that they can enjoy as well.

Not looking jump and get one tomorrow. This would be in a few months or possibly even a year when my youngest is off to school. Just would like some thoughts and experiences from others to see what they're like. Not looking into getting a pair or breeding so would be a family pet (male or female wouldn't matter to me at all) I'd love to see pictures as well.
Thanks in advance!
I inherited my cockatoo from my mother and I have had him 17 years now. She had him 10 years and he had an owner before her so they are a long term commitment. Most parrots are intelligent and highly trainable, especially African Grey's. They are also messy and noisy for the most part. Some are very good tempered and loving as my cockatoo is and some are mean, my conjure comes to mind. I don't know if it is luck of the draw or if it is because of the way they are raised.

Back
Top Bottom