Looking to get peacocks....

farmdude

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
NE Wisconsin
A lady in my area has peacocks for sale. I've thinking about getting some, but know nothing about them other than they are beautiful and can fly well. I have a good sized enclosed pens attached ( 22x30 & 18x18) to my coop. Is it okay to house chickens and pea fowl together? I have some ducks & geese in there too. Do they eat the same feeds as other fowl or do they need something special? She said they need to be wormed occasionally? With what & how, & how often?? She is asking $150. or best offer for an adult pair. What would be a fair offer? Thank you for what ever advice you are able to give me.

awww that is sooo cool
i wish i could get peacocks.. but its to muddy here
sad.png
and their tails would get all yucky and they would just be so unhappy..
i think that is a reasonable price for them i think for an adult pair have you gotten to look at them make sure they are healthy
no bugs for everything you see that you need to fix id drop the price 25$ and tell her why
ex well they have mites and i will have to keep them in a seprate area and treat them for it..

Farmdude,
You would love your peas.....

I freerange some of mine & I love to see them out and about. I did pen them for about 6 months before giving the run of the farm....

Please read some more peafowl posts on this forum before you decide how you keep them.
Many will not keep them with chickens or turkeys. This is a post about that topic & worming:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7860963#p7860963

I think it also has a link to Hopkins Livestock (if not do a ssearch for their site) for medications & worming them with Safeguard for Goats or Ivermect for cattle.

Peas will need a protein level of about 20%, & some chicken layer feeds will have that.

Good luck & post some pics when you get them. They are very cool & addictive!!

I know how loud they are
big_smile.png
that shouldn't be a problem. I live on a 4 lane high way that drowns out any noise. I will not be able to let them free range bacause of the road, would hate fore them to get hit as they like to roam and are good flyers.

I dont think they are too loud!!
But I do have about 80 acres and my neighbors are at least a 1/4 mile away- plus they dont mind.
When we were in town, we were only 2 blocks or so from the train tracks that sent trains on it every hour or so. They are not as loud or annoying as that.
We adapt to things as noise, but check with neighbors to se if they would mind, if they are close.
A couple of peas will not be that loud.

How do you keep them from wandering away? I volunteer at a bird rescue and we "rescued" 3 peacocks from people's yards this summer, that were at least a mile from their homes...I would love to get some, but I'm wary about that wandering...
idunno.gif

I kept my first group penned up until after breeding season (from jan until july) some keep them only 6-8 weeks penned ... I have some large and smaller trees and land for them to go around and forage. Plus I have some kept in a pen to keep them nearby. Although you never know if they might leave, food, forage, and protection-like trees-brush, other poultry, and what have you will more than likely keep them nearby.

I think they are similar to chickens, in that, a group that is raised or presented together, will bond and stay together.
Go ahead and get a pair and see how they do, if you have a pen to keep them for a time so they can get aclimated to your place-very important if you want to free range....

Good luck- we are here for you if you need support!!!

Back
Top Bottom