looking to get turkeys

k3burton

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
I am looking to get a turkey but I was wondering if I could put them with my chickens any thoughts would help

I am looking to get a turkey but I was wondering if I could put them with my chickens any thoughts would help
Yes. I have my chicken in with my turkeys. Try it out for a bit, and if they seem alright and arent fighting, then extend the time period. If that works, they can probably stay together.

First thing to do is to check with your local county agriculture extension office. They can tell you if Blackhead is a problem in your area. If Blackhead is a problem in your area, don't put turkeys in with chickens or on ground that has been used by chickens. It will end badly.

If Blackhead is not a problem in your area then chickens and turkeys can be kept together. The number one issue is Blackhead but there are other reasons that it can be beneficial to keep chickens and turkeys separate.

Raising a single turkey with chickens is not usually a good idea especially if the turkey is a tom. You really don't want a lone tom with raging hormones during breeding season trying to mate with a chicken. A lone turkey hen is a much better choice if you feel that you have to keep just one in with chickens.

Blackhead is more prominent, from what I understand, on wetter heavier soils, keep that in mind when you check. See if the cases in your county if there are any were on heavy soil if you are on sand.

I live on sand and it is very dry here, I have not had a problem (knocking on wood)..

Also on the other side of the coin there are some that claim turkeys help prevent Maraks in the chickens.

A good worming program or prevention with cayenne pepper and ACV is suppose to help avoid Blackhead. I know of an old timer that was a Vet in my area that use to raise lots of turkeys in the 60's and 70's, he swore by vodka and/or tequila in the turkeys drinking water to keep the parasites that cause blackhead down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom