looking to get turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by k3burton, Apr 2, 2015.

1. k3burton

k3burton New Egg

Nov 18, 2014
    I am looking to get a turkey but I was wondering if I could put them with my chickens any thoughts would help

2. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Yes. I have my chicken in with my turkeys. Try it out for a bit, and if they seem alright and arent fighting, then extend the time period. If that works, they can probably stay together.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Chickens are the prime transmitter of black head disease to turkeys.

4. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

I agree.

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    First thing to do is to check with your local county agriculture extension office. They can tell you if Blackhead is a problem in your area. If Blackhead is a problem in your area, don't put turkeys in with chickens or on ground that has been used by chickens. It will end badly.

If Blackhead is not a problem in your area then chickens and turkeys can be kept together. The number one issue is Blackhead but there are other reasons that it can be beneficial to keep chickens and turkeys separate.

Raising a single turkey with chickens is not usually a good idea especially if the turkey is a tom. You really don't want a lone tom with raging hormones during breeding season trying to mate with a chicken. A lone turkey hen is a much better choice if you feel that you have to keep just one in with chickens.

6. k3burton

k3burton New Egg

Nov 18, 2014
    Thank you

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Blackhead is more prominent, from what I understand, on wetter heavier soils, keep that in mind when you check. See if the cases in your county if there are any were on heavy soil if you are on sand.

I live on sand and it is very dry here, I have not had a problem (knocking on wood)..

Also on the other side of the coin there are some that claim turkeys help prevent Maraks in the chickens.

A good worming program or prevention with cayenne pepper and ACV is suppose to help avoid Blackhead. I know of an old timer that was a Vet in my area that use to raise lots of turkeys in the 60's and 70's, he swore by vodka and/or tequila in the turkeys drinking water to keep the parasites that cause blackhead down.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by