Looking to Raise Chickens the Right Way

Pics

DebbieDonut

Chirping
Sep 8, 2019
Columbia, SC
Hi, everyone!
I am in the process of preparing to get some backyard chickens and have been researching coops, breeds, all the fun stuff. I am married to my husband of 23 years, have three children and work from home as a RN. I was diagnosed in 2018 with breast cancer, have been fighting this bad boy for the last year and currently undergoing an oral daily chemotherapy that has had me in the dumps.

But! I've always wanted to have my own chickens, I'm home everyday and decided I need to live out my dreams right now. I do not know anyone who owns chickens, looking to have some questions answered. Thank you, look forward to learning from everyone! Debbie

Hello, Debbie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Wishing you the best possible outcome in your battle with breast cancer.
Getting chickens is wonderful stress therapy and will give you lots of enjoyment. I'm sure you have already been having plenty of fun in the planning stages!
Bring on the questions! We love providing our answers based on our experiences.
You will also learn a great deal by reading threads and articles.

Debbie D welcome aboard!

A few of my favorite tips:

Build a larger than you think coop.
Buy sexed chicks from a major hatchery.
Practice strict biosecurity.
Feed a complete poultry feed only, no treats. Or a teeny tiny amount of treats but not daily.

Debbie D welcome aboard!

A few of my favorite tips:

Build a larger than you think coop.
Buy sexed chicks from a major hatchery.
Practice strict biosecurity.
Feed a complete poultry feed only, no treats. Or a teeny tiny amount of treats but not daily.

We went to the farm store yesterday and they had sexed Isa Brown Chicks. I loved them they were the traditional yellow chicks. There was a sign saying must buy 4 chicks. I know that we will raise them in a tub, but what age are they ready to be put outside in the coop? Does the coop need to have 4 nesting boxes one foreach chicken?

We went to the farm store yesterday and they had sexed Isa Brown Chicks. I loved them they were the traditional yellow chicks. There was a sign saying must buy 4 chicks. I know that we will raise them in a tub, but what age are they ready to be put outside in the coop? Does the coop need to have 4 nesting boxes one foreach chicken?
For 4 chickens, you only need one box. I have 24 hens/pullets and 5 boxes. No issues.
I raised my last batch of chicks in a built in brooder in the coop. They were on the ground by the time they were 4.5 weeks old. I would have let them out after a few days if I'd had the attached brooder run finished sooner.
I also suggest making a baby bottle using a small sports bottle and a vertical poultry nipple. The chicks took to this immediately and it will go a very long way to keeping the brooder much drier.
Ancona.jpg
babies using bottle.jpg

You can keep them inside for a week but they get stinky and dusty pretty fast so if you build your coop predator proof you can put them outside quickly.

They actually can go straight outside if the coop is secure.

With four chickens one or two nest boxes is enough.
They usually all share the same one anyways.

Hello, Debbie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Wishing you the best possible outcome in your battle with breast cancer.
Getting chickens is wonderful stress therapy and will give you lots of enjoyment. I'm sure you have already been having plenty of fun in the planning stages!
Bring on the questions! We love providing our answers based on our experiences.
You will also learn a great deal by reading threads and articles.

Thank you! I need some chicken love! Question: I live in SC so it's warm most of the year, but sometimes it can get cold outside. (i'm originally from WI, not that cold, but cold for here). Do you need a heat source for the chickens outside, or does the hay keep them warm in their nests?

Thank you! I need some chicken love! Question: I live in SC so it's warm most of the year, but sometimes it can get cold outside. (i'm originally from WI, not that cold, but cold for here). Do you need a heat source for the chickens outside, or does the hay keep them warm in their nests?
You don't want them sleeping in their nest or you will have poopy eggs!
They will sleep on their roost.
You will not have issues with cold in SC. Chickens are little walking blast furnaces with down coats. It take A LOT of cold for them to be cold.
Heat is a much bigger concern.
I would still make sure they have a nice sized run that can be winterized for them.
Do you plan on having electricity in your coop?

For 4 chickens, you only need one box. I have 24 hens/pullets and 5 boxes. No issues.
I raised my last batch of chicks in a built in brooder in the coop. They were on the ground by the time they were 4.5 weeks old. I would have let them out after a few days if I'd had the attached brooder run finished sooner.
I also suggest making a baby bottle using a small sports bottle and a vertical poultry nipple. The chicks took to this immediately and it will go a very long way to keeping the brooder much drier.
View attachment 1902311View attachment 1902312

Too cute!!!! Love that idea. water would stay clean! Do you have to touch their beaks to it to train them to use it?

Back
Top Bottom