Looking to source ONE coturnix rooster??

speng5

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
Hi all,

I am in need of just one coturnix rooster! I see most places want you to order multiple eggs or chicks, and for adults they also want you to order at least pairs or "breeding colony". What would you guys do if you needed just one roo?

Also if any users here have one they would part with, I am in Iowa!

Have you checked your local craigslist? Sometimes you will find them there. Too bad you aren't close to me. I have a bunch of young boys getting ready for freezer camp.
I originally got my flock from a breeder on craigslist but it looks like they don't do sales of just single quail :( I got the breeder to deliver to me but it was worth her time as I had ordered 18 week old birds. One rooster isn't worth it for her really.

Is it worth it for you to go to her?
Perhaps, if i am out of other options. I was hoping someone could point me to a hidden gem of a place that would ship one bird but it's looking like no such things exist, unfortunately :(

Perhaps, if i am out of other options. I was hoping someone could point me to a hidden gem of a place that would ship one bird but it's looking like no such things exist, unfortunately :(
For a single bird, shipping would be really hard. Southwest gamebirds ships live birds, as does Myshire, but I doubt very much that they would be willing to ship a single bird. Shipping is stressful enough without adding the stress of being alone for a social creature.

I'd send you my excess males too, but I'm in FL. You're likely to have the best luck looking on Craigslist, Facebook, etc - anyone selling hatching eggs or chicks might have extra birds. I think the last option I could think of is a farm swap or something similar? One of the feed stores nearby tried to sell a cage of quail roos, and I know places like TSC sometimes get quail chicks in...

What a funny problem to have. I feel like we usually see the opposite issue - too many males!

Back
Top Bottom