Looks like a very nice design for a chicken pen?

It's really nice, no question about it. The cost for that much chain link fence is beyond my means for the gain. Our soil is so poor I've constructed raised beds to keep the compost localized to the plants. I dig off a few inches of the chicken pen in the spring to mix in compost then tilled into the beds. Not that much more labor intensive and the birds are allowed into the garden once the plants are established.

The idea of a well fenced in garden (using fence for vine plants to boot) and rotating crops is excellent though. Building a slant roof shed for low profile isn't difficult. Large enough for closed off section for feed and tool storage is a good idea. The coop area would just be roosts and nesting boxes lower than them. Keep doors at least 6 inches above constructed floor for deep bedding. To vent it you'd keep the 2X4's for roof over hang uncovered on both ends excepting hard wire mesh.

Informative- that's a great setup. If you used a shed design coop you could make it big enough to have space to store your garden tools in as well. Always go bigger than you think you need. You never hear someone say they wish they had made a smaller coop. A porch on the front would look nice and come in handy. I would use hardware cloth for the fence, if you look around you can get it 5' high. There is a factory I believe its in Pa. that sells over runs on ebay sometimes. If you can find a factory anywhere nearby you could ask them about it.

Last edited:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira44a.html

I will likely build something like this just need to choose the henhouse design because this one is a bit lacking in smaller details.

anyone else care to share thoughts on this pen layout?

Absolutely love it. Too much for me but if I was younger.
gig.gif

It's really nice, no question about it. The cost for that much chain link fence is beyond my means for the gain. ...(snip)
Well Tractor Supply sells a 100 foot 48" tall 4" x 2" squares welded wire fence for $49 when it goes on sale. Requires fence posts every six feet or so, some folks use branches or scrap wood as posts I just buy the six foot T posts because they are quick to hammer in the ground with a small one handed sledge. Overall cost is not very high this design looks like about two hundred foot of fence should get it done.

Back
Top Bottom