Looks Like Eye Got Pecked.. Erythromycin Ophthalmic?

This morning she was slow moving coming off the roost and just squatted at my feet not the mad dash to the duck house with the others.

I flushed with saline she would open it could still see what looks like an eyeball.. By this evening there was some chunky discharge during the flushing so i applied neosporin ointment "no pain relief". I do have a few tubes of Erythromycin Ophthalmic would that be better to combat infection that looks to be seting in?

Se seems to be breathing, drinking, and eating fine just slow to move.. I have her isolated right now in a comfy suite with a white porcelain throne..

20190721_182553-1024x768.jpg
I am responding to your post because my special species vet who attended to my blind duck (whose eyes were gouged out by a racoon) said birds don’t respond to the typical antibiotics, because they are not prone to the same bacterium. First off they won’t eat or drink typically due to pain, so you should seek a special species vet. If you can’t find one, try checking with the nearest university veterinary school. My duck was then given intravenous fluids and tube feedings along with the antibiotic clavamox and the anti-inflamatory meloxicam. I had eye surgery myself at the time of my duck’s attack and was also on an antibitotic and anti-inflamatory. It seems In the case of eye injuries they always go hand in hand. Best of luck to you!

If the hen’s eye had a pine needle in it, that could be the source or irritant. Mycoplasma or MG, a respiratory disease can cause gunk in the eye, lethargy, and sometimes respiratory symptoms. Tylan or tylosin is what most use to treat MG. That can be purchased without an Rx here and dosage is 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

I would think that the wood shavings would get moldy from being kept wet. Also have heard that hardwood shavings are not good, but pine is fine.

She is still alive.. for sure lost the entire cornea we can see color and a black spot for the pupil and skin growth.

She ended up with what looked like pimples all over thinking was foul pox? Or?? Who knows!!

Gave her Tylan 3 X a day for a week no change..

We gave her Pen G 3 days later total turn around the puss from her eye started to go away.

Still In isolation still she is adapting well to one eye and doing chicken things... even layed an egg today.

off all ointments, drops. and antibiotics for a few days..

Amazing how fast an infection can set in..

Sorry that the eye is blind, but glad that she is getting around okay with only one good eye. The bumps could have been fowl pox, but pictures would be needed to identify it. Fowl pox lasts about 3 weeks.

Update., She is doing well be in with one eye once and a while another chicken will peck it and she will keep closed for a few days not getting infected it is mostly just skin under eyelid.. holding weight eating and doing chicken things eggs etc.

She is still alive and near the top of the pecking order... Her eye is now just a flesh filled orbit.. We did loose the anemic Wellsummer weight at death was 2lb 4oz all other birds were 2X the weight or more.. I did a small necro she was not digesting food.. Her sis passed at 7 days she failed to thrive!

This morning she was slow moving coming off the roost and just squatted at my feet not the mad dash to the duck house with the others.

I flushed with saline she would open it could still see what looks like an eyeball.. By this evening there was some chunky discharge during the flushing so i applied neosporin ointment "no pain relief". I do have a few tubes of Erythromycin Ophthalmic would that be better to combat infection that looks to be seting in?

Se seems to be breathing, drinking, and eating fine just slow to move.. I have her isolated right now in a comfy suite with a white porcelain throne..

20190721_182553-1024x768.jpg

Back
Top Bottom