Pecked by hens, eye looks like it is healing itself shut: graphic pics

Mngibbs

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2023
Short version: I have a chicken that was pecked, one of her eyes is open but she keeps it half closed most of the time. Her other eye has movement underneath but she is not opening it mainly due to the fact that it wont open.

Long version: This is a new chicken, she was doing well and then was pecked, severely. They really got her head and basically all of her feathers on the top of her head are gone. I was syringe feeding and flushing with saline. She ended up having that hard pus in both eyes which I got out and continues to flush. I applied ointment and continued to keep her isolated. Her one eye is open the other eye which I could see at one point is now a small opening and I cannot physically open it. It looks like it is scarring over and is shut? I don't know what to do here, Ive been nursing this chicken along for weeks now and she is finally starting to try and eat. I dont want to give up, please help. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpeg
    IMG_1642.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
You can't keep her in your flock it's going to happen again. Looks like you didn't do a proper integration.

This kind of injury may take 2 months to heal. You'll need to keep doing your treatments for her.

You can't keep her in your flock it's going to happen again. Looks like you didn't do a proper integration.

This kind of injury may take 2 months to heal. You'll need to keep doing your treatments for her.
I actually very slowly integrated her and it had been going just fine until it wasnt.

Short version: I have a chicken that was pecked, one of her eyes is open but she keeps it half closed most of the time. Her other eye has movement underneath but she is not opening it mainly due to the fact that it wont open.

Long version: This is a new chicken, she was doing well and then was pecked, severely. They really got her head and basically all of her feathers on the top of her head are gone. I was syringe feeding and flushing with saline. She ended up having that hard pus in both eyes which I got out and continues to flush. I applied ointment and continued to keep her isolated. Her one eye is open the other eye which I could see at one point is now a small opening and I cannot physically open it. It looks like it is scarring over and is shut? I don't know what to do here, Ive been nursing this chicken along for weeks now and she is finally starting to try and eat. I dont want to give up, please help. Thank you!
She may have lost that eye, but I agree, I would continue to apply ointment and clean/flush it out with saline.
If the other eye is o.k. she will learn to adapt in time.

Her beak is broken so this may be a challenge for her. It may eventually stitch back together, hard to know at this point.
Try offering her wet mash in a brightly colored bowl, she may be able to manage that a little easier. Bright color, because well...they seem to like that.

Another option would be to Torpedo feed her. Folks use this method for cross beak or weak birds, but it's a fairly quick way to get food into them while they are recovering.
Description and video are in this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Looks like you've been taking good care of her.
Don't give up on her - you're doing fine:hugs

She may have lost that eye, but I agree, I would continue to apply ointment and clean/flush it out with saline.
If the other eye is o.k. she will learn to adapt in time.

Her beak is broken so this may be a challenge for her. It may eventually stitch back together, hard to know at this point.
Try offering her wet mash in a brightly colored bowl, she may be able to manage that a little easier. Bright color, because well...they seem to like that.

Another option would be to Torpedo feed her. Folks use this method for cross beak or weak birds, but it's a fairly quick way to get food into them while they are recovering.
Description and video are in this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Looks like you've been taking good care of her.
Don't give up on her - you're doing fine:hugs
Thank you, I have been feeding her via tube more recently. She had a cross beak prior to the attack. I will put out a colorful bowl, didnt think of that thanks!

Back
Top Bottom