young Langshan with sudden partial blindness, injury or infection ??

Queensilkie

Songster
5 Years
Jan 22, 2016
WA
Hey all,

Just yesterday I noticed one of my two young Langshans (they are around 5 months old, and I suspect this one is a cockerel but who knows) was acting low and keeping his right eye closed. His crop was also completely empty. Upon further inspection, the eye looked milky and watery, so I flushed it with a saline solution and applied some ophthalmic ointment, and got him to eat a bit, isolated and with no bullies to chase him away.
Unfortunately today it looks worse. He's staying against walls and keeping his head turned with his good eye, so I don't think he has any visibility out of the bad one. There is what looks like filmy milky gunk over a large section of his eye, and he's able to be handled so I could try to flush it out with more saline, and a q tip, but I'm worried it's rather a scratch on the eye lens, and that attempting to remove it would tear or further injure it.
His crop is empty again, and he's failing to keep up with the other birds, or perch or anything expected of a young hearty bird, and it seems to be bothering him significantly.

I've never had a bird with an eye injury thus far, and I'm at a loss. What should I do?

So update,
I just rinsed his eye again and the gunk came out by itself, but the eye itself still looks cloudy and I'm thinking it's maybe a scratch on the eye's surface. I'm administering an antibiotic shot, and I reapplied the eye ointment. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Back
Top Bottom