Looks like I'll be needing a bigger coop.

Zoo Keeper

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Pennsylvania, North of Pittsburgh
I planned on adding 2 new hens (bantam polish) but ended up with 4 (2 bantam barred rock also). Now I'm afraid there won't be enough room in the coop at night and they'll not get along. I don't know if I'll be able to add on to my current coop or if I should scrap it and start over. I'm hoping I can just add on. We have alot of time and work invested already.

the coop is pretty much a 4ft cube and the run is 4ft wide and 6ft long. I have 3 silkie hens, 3 cochin chicks... 1 girl, 2 boys (not outside yet), and just brought home 4 more hens even though I was only planning on 2. I think I may have over done it
hmm.png

So I'm not the only one....ha,I knew it. I told husband to build the coop 8x8, I could tell he thought that was pretty large, by now he has figured out that I plan to add on to that, and have from the get go.

I don't know how your current coop is setup. Cut a hole in 1 wall, use that wall to tie in your new addition.

Leave the wall solid and frame in your new addition. Add your roof, floor, most of walls, and what ever else your going to do inside. Leave enough open and unfinished so you can cut your hole out of your wall to open the 2 coops up to 1 another. Sand or trim out opening you made. Finish closing up your new addition.

Originally with only my 3 silkie hens 4x4x4 was more than big enough because they are out in their run all day and only in the coop at night. They all sleep in a pile anyways so like I said they didn't need anything too large. We just suddenly decided on more chickens and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to get these hens.
Texas75563, that is probably what I am goin to do. There is large double doors on one side for me to access the coop, then there is a small door on the front leading out to the run, and another small door / window on the other side. I will probably just open up (enlarge) the small door on the one side and go from there putting double doors on the other side of the addition also, so that I will be able to access all of the coop easily (for cleaning & such) without having to crawl in. lol

Back
Top Bottom