Looks like its from a hatchery?

Yes, "pet-quality" or production or hatchery. Means that the bird is not bred towards the standard for the breed. It has been bred in order to lay eggs and be able to reproduce rapidly in order to increase offspring production (which is what the hatcheries are after).

I agree with the other posters.

Sometimes, hatchery birds dont even really look like the 'breed' they are supposed to be. They are not show quality or breeder quality - but are "pet quality".

Hatchery quality chickens don't have the perfect body shape and colors of the show quality chickens.

Hatchery quality Dutch bantam:
FILE0334n.jpg

Show quality Dutch bantam:
IMGP2885.jpg

Thanks! Kind of like buying a puppy from a puppy mill! I am not interested in breeding at this time, but I guess I will have to find some reputable breeders in Iowa before I even consider it! I used to breed West Highland White terriers for show, so I understand the complicated study of genetics, health history and trying to breed to standard, I just never connected it to chickens! Boy do I have a lot to learn!

Quote:
After I bought my chickens and got on BYC I realized that too. Basically it is just like buying a pup from a puppy mill or a pet store! I never new there were breeders for chickens.
hide.gif
I just figured that they all came from hatcheries.
th.gif

The two birds in the photos are two different breeds.

The top appears to be an OEGB or a Nankin. The bottom is a Dutch.

Black Langshan (hatchery):
CroadLangshan.jpg

Black Langshan (exhibition):
PoultryShows047.jpg

To me, there's no debate as to which one conforms to the standard.

Quote:
I ordered the top one from Ideal as Black tail buff Dutch bantam. He doesn't look like a Dutch at all, and whenever people ask me what breed his, I always hesitate to answer. I used this rooster to illustrate the difference between SQ and HQ because he looks nothing like a Dutch!

Back
Top Bottom