Looks like its from a hatchery?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joyous, Nov 15, 2009.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    What to people mean when they say this in describing a chicken? Does it mean that it is not show quality?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That usually means, "Pet Quality"... not Show Quality.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, "pet-quality" or production or hatchery. Means that the bird is not bred towards the standard for the breed. It has been bred in order to lay eggs and be able to reproduce rapidly in order to increase offspring production (which is what the hatcheries are after).

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I agree with the other posters.

Sometimes, hatchery birds dont even really look like the 'breed' they are supposed to be. They are not show quality or breeder quality - but are "pet quality".

5. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Hatchery quality chickens don't have the perfect body shape and colors of the show quality chickens.

Hatchery quality Dutch bantam:
    [​IMG]
    Show quality Dutch bantam:
    [​IMG]

6. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! Kind of like buying a puppy from a puppy mill! I am not interested in breeding at this time, but I guess I will have to find some reputable breeders in Iowa before I even consider it! I used to breed West Highland White terriers for show, so I understand the complicated study of genetics, health history and trying to breed to standard, I just never connected it to chickens! Boy do I have a lot to learn!

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:After I bought my chickens and got on BYC I realized that too. Basically it is just like buying a pup from a puppy mill or a pet store! I never new there were breeders for chickens. [​IMG] I just figured that they all came from hatcheries. [​IMG]

8. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    Quote:The difference is unreal! I would have thought they were 2 complete different breeds!

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The two birds in the photos are two different breeds.

The top appears to be an OEGB or a Nankin. The bottom is a Dutch.

Black Langshan (hatchery):
    [​IMG]

Black Langshan (exhibition):
    [​IMG]

To me, there's no debate as to which one conforms to the standard.

10. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I ordered the top one from Ideal as Black tail buff Dutch bantam. He doesn't look like a Dutch at all, and whenever people ask me what breed his, I always hesitate to answer. I used this rooster to illustrate the difference between SQ and HQ because he looks nothing like a Dutch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by