Looks like its from a hatchery?

Well, it's not just that.

Several times hatchery workers get confused, especially when two breeds are the same general size and same general color as day-olds. The thing with yours is that it does not have white earlobes. That, in hatchery stock, can mean the difference between two completely different breeds.

Nankin:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Nankin/BRKNankin.html

Edit: The birds drawn in the photos even show the white earlobe. Lacking the white earlobe could easily make that specific bird two other breeds, just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Learning the difference and being exposed a great source for quality birds and eggs is one of the many reasons that I am totally in love with the BYC site.
ya.gif

Yes, I was afraid the plumage would make them look too similar. Here is something that will be a shocker:

Silver-Laced Wyandottes- hatchery:
Chickens%20-%20e2006%20005.jpg

Silver-Laced Wyandottes- exhibition:
2755b850.jpg

billy.jpg

Then there's the Barred Plymouth Rocks:

Hatchery:
rockbarredmale.jpg

Exhibition:
Chickens2154-1-1.jpg

Yes, the birds with specific color are easier to tell, but eventually, you start looking at the overall type of the bird and disregard the color to a point. Color comes after body type.

Someone one here has a saying of "You gotta build the barn before you paint it."

rodriguez:
I was just going to say that.. I was told when I first started showing chickens "You gotta build the barn before you paint it."

Hatchery Rhode Island Red (not my hen)
33115_rirhen.jpg

Exhibition Rhode Island Red
33115_dsc_0155.jpg

Chris

Back
Top Bottom