Looks like its from a hatchery?

After seeing the exhibition quality chickens, the hatchery ones are drab and inferior. Does anyone know of a "hatchery" that sell SQ chicks?
I know of Purely Poultry (which IMHO is too expensive) and Superior Farms (which as far as I know doesn't have true bantams). Anything else?

This is such a great thread!
ya.gif
To echo ThePolishPrincess.....It's soooo cool to see all the pictures.......
thumbsup.gif
:thumbsup

I have to ask though, as a newb....is it really that bad to get your chicks from a hatchery?
hide.gif
Especially when you are just starting out and have no idea what you're doing?
barnie.gif
(*and* you are not planning on breeding and/or showing any time soon?)
idunno.gif
obviously I am trying to learn and do all my research etc. etc, which is why I am here---plus to meet some wonderful people!!!
big_smile.png

I feel like I am stepping in some bad stuff here....kind of afraid to ask this question.....I certainly realize that it probably depends on whom you ask in terms of what answer you get.....

Okay didn't mean to hijack this great thread-sorry!

Quote:
No, it's not bad to get your chicks from a hatchery....they will lay you lots of nice eggs. That's all I had for many years. I got tired of my birds not looking like the breed they were supposed to be tho and that started my quest for birds that actually were at least close to the APA standard. I don't show, not do I plan to, but I really enjoy looking at my birds and knowing that they pretty much look like they should for the breed. It may cost you more at the beginning to get your start in certain breeds by having to get them from a good breeder, but it costs the same to feed a nice quality bird as it does a poor speciman of the breed.

Last edited:
Quote:
That picture of the hatchery RIR is a perfectly fine example of a production red hen, great layers of big brown eggs. A lot of farms use this type of layer in the egg industry. I don't see any reason for her to be put down.

It was just an example to show the difference between a hatchery type bird and a bird that looks like a standard RIR should look.

catdaddy

Personally, I absolutely love production red hens.

They have personalities that exhibition RIRs simply do not have. Or, I have not found at least. The production Speckled Sussex, to me, are 10x more beautiful than exhibition fowl.

Production birds have their place in this world too.

Quote:
I completely agree with this. It's important to define your objectives and desires. For me, I thoroughly enjoy my flock of EEs. I don't agree that a hatchery is the equivelent of a "puppy mill." I've gotten lots of nice birds that fulfilled their function from hatcheries. These aren't show quality birds, but I've gotten meat, eggs, and pets.

But if you want birds that meet APA standards for appearance or if you want a specific trait, a reputable breeder is the way to go. It's all in what you want.

Yes I agree there is nothing really wrong with production poultry I simply prefer looking at the exhibition stuff.

That said I have a line of Exhibition RIR that are simply awesome in tems of dispostion. I do not handle these birds and they really have little reason to hang around me, except that I am the guy with the feed bucket, but they just are not flighty and are very curious.

The second line I have is quite the opposite. They are the same age and have been raised together. Breeding for disposition does seem to matter. The breeder of the quiet line did indicate that he culled pretty hard for disposition and had a particular distaste for man fighting roosters.

I like em

I'm not quite sure I agree with the man-fighter being genetic.

The father of Mr. Mom was so mean that I...well, we won't get into that. But Mr. Mom wound up being a sweet heart of a bird. I believe it's how you raise them, but I'm sure some genetic disposition must be taken into account.

Minorcas for example, flighty freaks of nature. Some lines are less flighty than others, but most are bonkers to some degree. When I say "personality" I mean a bird who will seek you out whether or not you have feed. He/she wants you to pick her up and carry her around until you are done and prefers your company to the rest of the flock. I have a little Langshan cockerel like that and I'll be darned if I'm going to eat him! He may have to go in the "pet" flock. I hate it when I get attached.

I only own hatchery hens and a few from a local breeder that has no idea what all he has an most of the ones he says are pure breed are no where near it. I never plan to breed to sell. The eggs I hatch from my birds are either kept for more egg production or killed for meat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom