Looks like quail chick is stuck

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if somebody can help me here. I have a quail chick in the incubator that pipped but did not zip for 24 hours, so I made the pipped hole a little bigger, he is breathing and peeping but the membrane looks yellow and he/she still is not zipping. Should I make its zip for him/her to help its hatch or should I leave it?

Hi, I was wondering if somebody can help me here. I have a quail chick in the incubator that pipped but did not zip for 24 hours, so I made the pipped hole a little bigger, he is breathing and peeping but the membrane looks yellow and he/she still is not zipping. Should I make its zip for him/her to help its hatch or should I leave it?
Put some coconut oil on the membrane to soften it. Can you see the beak? Is it making any yawning or chewing motions?
What day is it on? Has your temp been accurate the whole time?

It is a little strange for a quail to pip and not zip for 24 hours. If you try to assist, stop if you see blood.

Put some coconut oil on the membrane to soften it. Can you see the beak? Is it making any yawning or chewing motions?
What day is it on? Has your temp been accurate the whole time?
It is on day 19 my temp was a little low for the first week but accurate for the rest of the incubation. The beak is closed most of time, he/she peeps when I peep at him/her. I attempted to help it open the shell. I zipper it almost half way but stopped when there was a bleed and i stopped the bleed then put it back in the incubator. The membrane is clear exept for 1 vein that looks thick-ish.

This is how the eeg looks like now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 12
If the membrane is moist it will push out when it's absorbed and ready now. Good job helping it, it should be able to do the rest on its own now.

Back
Top Bottom