1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looky Here...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by webdawg, May 21, 2007.

1. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    at what my wife saw next to her wild bird feeder. A 5' Mohave Green Rattlesnake. It took 5 rounds of snake shot to kill it.
    [​IMG]

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    My sympathies to people living in the desert, you must have all kinds of nasty critters running around. Here is the midwest all we have to deal with is racoons and posums. We have a rattlesnake here in Mich but you have to go to a really swampy out of the way place to find them and I hear they aren't very poisonious.

3. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    They usually stay away from us. This is only the second one I've seen in 23 years up here.

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Glad she saw it and did'nt step on it.

Yikes!!!!!!

5. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Too funny. I was about to start a thread about our adventures last night involving javelina checking out the chicken run and the rattler I nearly stepped on about 5 feet from the back door.

We live on a cliff above the river, and the javelina love to come up and check out the bird feeders. This is the exact reason I stopped using bird blocks for the quail.

The rattler was small (1 1/2 - 2 feet), but tough. DH took a shovel to him. MY HERO!!

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh my goodness, I would have stubbed my toe on that thing! It is so well camoflaged!
    Glad no one got bit!
    [​IMG]

7. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    HOLY TOLEDO!!!!!!:eek:
    I'm so glad no one stepped on that big boy!!! Luckily I have 3 good snake cats that take care of them for me. But here is TN I think we only have a brush rattler and I've never seen one before, that's not to say they don't exist though.Cottonmouth and copperheads are more prone to this area.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Considering I went to a reptile show yesterday...Cool!
    I even got to wear a RedTailed Boa.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by