Looky what I [finally] caught!!

Add me to the no kill predator list. It is MY responsibility to predator proof my pens. Ive trapped and relocated 2 young possums recently, both times having the landowners consent.

Quote:
The thing is, landowner's consent or not, you may not be doing the "relocated" animal any favors. You could also be spreading disease. It's been stated over and over what happens to these animals, so I'm not going to go there again. We all need to make our choices, but hopefully those choices will be made with consideration as to what is best for the animal. For me, I opt for the quickest, most humane death for that animal.

Last edited:
Coons sure try real hard to dig out of cages.Mine are always full of soil from them digging unlike possums that just curl up and wait.

I advise doing this little guy a favour and drown him because he isnt in that great of shape to begin with. he could use a bath in the pond, while he is still in the trap

Quote:
Best to check you state laws...here those two possum would have cost you a thousand dollar fine. Here even a land owner can't give you permission. ....good reason they make these laws.......here is was may bcause a major spread of rabies........and no you can't tell by looking if a animal is rabit...myself i think it should be a federal law.

Opossums are not on the rabies suspect list. They have very primative nero-systems (the pathways which rabies uses to travel to the brain to replecate it's self), and their body temperatures are much lower than modern mammals. Their bodies do not readily host or support the rabies virus. Infact, I believe the only documented case of an opossum with rabies was an individual that was actually bitten directly on the head, which essentially would have injected the virus directly into the brain matter allowing it to then replicate, and give the animal the ability to spread the virus. Opossums are considered fur-bearing animals, and they may fall under that umbrella of protection, but it would not be illegal to relocate an opossum due to rabies. Especially since opossums are mainly nomadic, and do not stick around in one place for extended periods of time.

ACO for a major city in North Texas, and permitted wildlife rehabilitator.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom