Looming Hawk

Cristalzita

In the Brooder
May 16, 2019
I have a new flock of chickens which include some smaller breeds, 2 silkies and 2 serama roosters. I am fairly certain one of the silkies ended up being a rooster as well. My problem is, I noticed this has attracted a hawk to loom over my flock. At one point swooping in until they notice I was right there with them. I assume it is because they are smaller. Since then the hawk has been terrorizing my flock, they are always running from one cover to the next. I do have them at free range of the backyard and have for the last 5 years without issue. I am wondering if there is any sort of effective deterrent for hawks. I have seen some reflective material with mixed reviews and then the scarecrow option. Any suggestions? The new additions are still young so they will get bigger and fiercer as they are roosters, but I feel the hawk needs to be scared off now, I would hate to lose my original hens to an attack, and it would be a shame to lock them in a run when they are used to the bigger space.

I have seen hawks around here year around. I have had several birds killed by hawks in the past. I no longer free range but have nice large covered pens for my birds. There are ways to entertain the birds. I too went for several years until my birds were discovered then it seems like every predator discovered them. Lessons learned the hard way. Good luck...
This is what one BYC member did to deter hawks.
TubeManBYC.jpg

I have a new flock of chickens which include some smaller breeds, 2 silkies and 2 serama roosters. I am fairly certain one of the silkies ended up being a rooster as well. My problem is, I noticed this has attracted a hawk to loom over my flock. At one point swooping in until they notice I was right there with them. I assume it is because they are smaller. Since then the hawk has been terrorizing my flock, they are always running from one cover to the next. I do have them at free range of the backyard and have for the last 5 years without issue. I am wondering if there is any sort of effective deterrent for hawks. I have seen some reflective material with mixed reviews and then the scarecrow option. Any suggestions? The new additions are still young so they will get bigger and fiercer as they are roosters, but I feel the hawk needs to be scared off now, I would hate to lose my original hens to an attack, and it would be a shame to lock them in a run when they are used to the bigger space.
If you've had chickens for 5 years you've probably found the smaller ones are easier to pick off .You might want to make them a covered run and only allow them to free range a few hours a day. If you'll vary the time of day you let them out the hawks won't catch them as easily. Chicken tractors are an awesome method of managing chickens and will give the birds some protection .I hope the little ones are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom