loosing chickens, another one sick :(

ridinem

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
Last spring I lost a Delaware to what appeared to be Merricks, she was a year old. In December I lost my Buff without much warning, she was being a little quiet and I noticed she was thin and not sitting on the perch with the other chickens anymore. I had gotten her at the same time as the Delaware, but from a different source. At the same time another chicken, approx 6 months old, suddenly couldn't walk on her right leg. She seemed ok other wise, she held on for almost 3 weeks then passed. Now, her "sister" (same breed purchased at same time) is being very quiet and is not sitting on the perch anymore, but seems to be walking OK. She also seems thin. (food and water is available at all times). I am going to remove her from the remaining 3 chickens tonight into a dog crate to separate her. What could be going on???? They get layer pellets, scratch, and some crushed oyster shells. I give them warm water twice a day (it is very cold here).

With such very odd symptoms, I would call around and see if anyone will test one of them for disease.

I am sorry you are having to go through this!
hugs.gif

I'm sorry you are dealing with what is likely Marek's in the flock. I have dealt with it myself. Neural and visceral forms of Marek's can affect older birds and cause rapid weight loss, paralysis, then death. Marek's is in your environment which is why people choose to vaccinate or only buy vaccinated chicks. Some symptoms of Marek's are similar to Lymphoid Leukosis, so to be sure you could surrender a bird for necropsy at a local lab. It is a sad predicament to be in, but here is a list of labs if you need to investigate further: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf
I would suggest calling the one nearest you, and informing them of your situation. Most labs charge only a small fee, if at all, for backyard flock owners.

Back
Top Bottom