loosing feathers

TACKMEUP2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I could use some help please. I have 20 hens (with only one rooster). Last week I lost one of my barred rock hens. She had hardly any feathers on her back and tail. When I found her, the others were pecking at her rear end. I have noticed 6 others have lost quite a few feathers on their back and tail. Do I have a problem or is this normal?

you may have a feather plucking problem. it can be caused from over crowding, being bored, low in protein or just a bad habit. observe the flock for a while to see the dynamics of the group. check your birds each day for sores, blood spots. chicken will go after anything red and blood is red. even if you see a small dot of blood that hens needs to be dealt with asap so the others don't kill her. there are lots of products out there to help with feather plucking, pinless peepers, anti pick sprays. A gay at the feed store said to spray white vinegar on ther feathers and the others don't like it so they pluck less

how do I know if is just molting?
Could it be worms, when should you worm chickens?
I feed purina laying mash and a 4-way "fighting" scratch. Would that be enough protein?
(No fighting here!!!!!)

if it is just molting...... not sure I can clarify that too much. If all of the birds are the same age, and all are losing feathers, and they were my birds, I would assume it was moulting.

BOSS (Black oil sunflower seed) will give you added protein to speed up the feather growth process. I have never used scratch, and know nothing about it. My girls and boys treats are cracked corn and BOSS. And leftovers.

I give my chickens a few pumpkins in the fall. Pumpkins are a natural de wormer. My girls and boys have never had worms, but I know I have seen poultry de wormer at tractor supply and the local Blue Seal feeds and Agway.

Back
Top Bottom