Loosing our home to the power company...

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
Found out last week that the power company (Allegheny Power) has plans to replace the current power lines that run behind our property (6 acres) with larger, double wide, 80' tall metal lattice structures that will put out 8 times the electromagnetic energy and go from a 50' easement to 200'.
That wipes out my studio and our home. The state has approved their decision, done in the typical "Hitchhiker's Guide" method of the least possible notification to the public.
45 miles of of this will intersect our county, wiping out 44 addresses and affecting 240 properties.
Those merely 'affected' will be offered 1000kw power per month paid for life. Those whose addresses will be eliminated/become inhabitable will be offered the middle of three appraisals. If you decline, its emminent domain.
Thanks to my neighbors spotting a small article in the local paper, we attended a meeting last week with about a hundred others.
Now we are all on a letter writing and petition signing campaign.
DH and I have worked for our home and planned on using it as part of our retirement plan.
We don't want to leave the area, but it is virtually impossible to replace what we have here. Of course, I am staying positive, and hoping that enough letters to the editor, congressmen, delegates, senators, govenor, etc, etc, will make a difference.
roll.png

Oh, and the cherry on the kick of the head of this fiasco? The power lines will not provide power to any local areas. As a matter of fact, they are carrying power to New Jersey (we're in WV). You see, New Jersey doesn't want to pollute their air with a coal burning power plant. But because we stupid hillbillies don't care none about our air, sum ejucamated brainiac figured out it would be cheaper to build a power plant in WV and carry the lines to the Eastern Seaboard. Oh, and let's raise the rates for them hillbillies so they can pay for the new lines.

Honestly. In a day and age when so many have lost and are losing their homes to poor banking pratices, here comes private industry to take away what hard working people have worked so hard to keep. Socialized costs for privatized profits.

:thun

Last edited:
Thanks.
You know, if it weren't for the dogs, cats and the chickens...I don't think I would have got out of bed today.
hit.gif

I am so, so sorry. Ugh. Rotten, rotten news. My heart goes out to you.

A thought: Do you know what part of New Jersey will get your power? Maybe you could find some contacts on here and get residents of NJ involved, to say they dn't want your land taken.

We all need to stop using so much power, not wreck more beauty.

We tend to think that our home is the one safe place for us. We work hard on it and for it, and then something like that happens that is out of our control. You must be greiving and horrified. I'm stunned b/c I though CA was the only place radical enough to pull something like that off.

Mudhen...
hugs.gif
...there are no words for what is happening to you. Best wishes to everyone on your side for the battle you are about to be forced to engage in.
fl.gif
for you!

Back
Top Bottom