Lop bunnies vs meat rabbits

QuailMan6666

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
Are lop bunnies easier to tame than meat rabbits like New Zealands or Californians? And also are bunnies in general more friendly and less scared of everything than meat rabbits?

I've had some meat rabbits that were friendly and others that were skittish. I have no direct experienc with lops, but I know that there are several breeds of lops, and I would not expect them to all behave the same as each other.

I think being friendly or scared it probably runs in families of rabbits, but doesn't depend much on breed. So if there is a particular kind of rabbit you are thinking of getting, try to meet the individual rabbit, or at least some close relatives (like parents) to see how they act. That would be the best way to predict how a bunny is likely to act when it grows up.

It really depends on how they are raised and socialized. Keep in mind their personality will often change once they reach six months due to hormones.
Mini and Holland lops are usually bred to be kept as pets, so these breeds are often considered more friendly. Though this can vary between individuals. I recommend fostering rabbits beforehand, or going to a rescue to meet the rabbits beforehand. Most rabbit rescues can help match the right rabbit with the right owner.

my dad raised palomino meat rabbits.
my 5 year old twin girls had no problem taming their bunnies. males will be males but my kids dressed them up, put them in the pool, the wagon... they would not run from them.

Are lop bunnies easier to tame than meat rabbits like New Zealands or Californians? And also are bunnies in general more friendly and less scared of everything than meat rabbits?
Rabbits are prey animals. Being nervous is what keeps them alive in the wild, and that's not a trait that they've lost in captive breeding. Just like all animals, the individual temperament of a given rabbit is going to come down to their environment and how they're raised, trained, and handled.

In general, Lops are easier to handle and less skittish than larger meat breeds, but that does not always ring true. If you have other animals who harass them (dogs who may have high prey or play drive for example), it's not gonna matter. The stress will kill a lop as fast as it'll kill a meat rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom