LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

Pics
Theyare not going give anyone information. I think we are lucky they took it to a vet. I am assuming in it must have been a valuable bird for the owner to take it in. This is good info to show how easy it is being spread.

This. Don't be surprised if they won't tell you anything. Given the scope of this outbreak, they are probably going to let the state speak for them other than indicating they had a positive case and notifying any bird owners who were at the site of exposure in that timeframe.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Wondering if I could get a bit of advice whether to free range or not. We are in Santa Barbara county near Ventura county border. We unfortunately just have one chicken at the moment as we had to put down one a couple of weeks ago due to a fungal Infection from the Thomas Fire. We were planning on getting a few more chickens but have decided not to do this until this disease is more contained. I see that many people are advising that folks in southern California should not be free ranging. However as we only have one chicken left, I don’t want her to get bored and lonely in her run and she loves being outside and being with us so much! We do get quite a few wild birds in our yards and our neighbors have chickens but they have a giant fence and hedge between them and about 100 yards so there is no contact. Thoughts on whether it’s ok to let her free range? Hope all you are doing well in this difficult time!

I am hoping we get more information from the government on the one case that was found in Redwood City. I read that the owner of the rooster lived in Hayward and possibly had other birds in Tracy, and that officials were still investigating. I don't know why its taking them so long to get to the bottom of where that rooster came from. Do they not have the ability to talk to the owner?
@Morrigan
I posted in post #375 I talked to the Modesto CDFA branch. The rep confirmed the Redwood City bird was from Tracy, but they considered it an isolated incident.

Theyare not going give anyone information. I think we are lucky they took it to a vet. I am assuming in it must have been a valuable bird for the owner to take it in. This is good info to show how easy it is being spread.
@h2oratt is exactly right.
VND is in the Central Valley, far South Scal and Ncal, probably has been for a some time. Same with other states. They are only finding out about cases if they surface at a testing facility or vet. Practice bio security,don’t visit shows or farms, don’t move birds!
Call or email the governor and your legislative representatives to voice your concerns.

Last edited:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/sa_by_date/2019/sa-03/vnd-funding

Maybe someone can explain to me why the feds and state are focusing on policing and euthanizing backyard chicken flocks when it’s been proven the primary spread of the disease has been caused by poultry shows and underground cockfighting rings moving around?

What is the connection to the above to “backyard chicken flocks?”

Because that’s all they have the jurisdiction to do? The government has every jurisdiction to shut down all poultry shows, not just recommend to do so. Because they don’t have a “cockfighting ring police?”

I don’t understand why the next move is not shutting down ALL bird shows, financially penalizing all people moving birds out of quarantine areas, policing cockfighting rings and policing the southern border for additional sick birds. It seems like they are using a 20 year old approach, and we are with this funding at about 200 million dollars now and a million birds.

Maybe they don’t want to give away their approach? A lot of misinformation to the public.

Please educate me...I welcome it.

Back
Top Bottom