LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

Pics
The law suit is very well written and outlines the faults and infractions of the CDFA and the state vet. I do hope that they win this case against the state vet and CDFA. Regardless of how much money they are awarded, it will never come close to making retribution for what those people and animals went through. My heart truly goes out to all of you. :( :hugs
I don’t find gassing inhumane. Why do you think it is?

I will refer not to the ideal co2 situations, which involve specialized devices like the MAK carts, but to what i have seen live on video reflecting the situation in Riverside and San Bernardino. They utilize garbage cans with a hole in the top to insert the hose. Prior to doing this, they have put in multiple birds in the can atop each other still alive. While utilizing the gas, they are often opening the can to check out the process of death rather than wait the recommended five minutes, further elongating potential suffering. They have reached into the can and bag for minutes claiming that they are swabbing, but residents haven't seen the swabs and suspect they are practicing makeshift cervical dislocation, which is not avma approved with the bird in that position. Only once in these videos--and they are public for anyone to look at--have they done the swabs out in the open with the animal still alive. They are now starting to pull them out dead in front of the owner's family and then swab.

All this is inhumane, not only for the animals but their owners.

So gassing is not inhumane but the way they are practicing it is? My local place gasses if you bring the bird in alive.
I have to reply to this! What could possibly be humane about capturing multiple birds one at a time and throwing them struggling into a metal garbage can until it is FULL of terrified, struggling, birds in a very confined space, then slowly filling the leaky container with gas, with frequent checks to see "if it is working", prolonging the process and guaranteeing multiple painful injuries to all the birds prior to their eventual death. I have to refer you to the transcript of the suit that has been filed if you have questions, as what went on is clearly explained and described and why it is inhumane, inexcusable, and illegal. Please read it if you really want to know.

I don’t find gassing to be humane in the least. I do however think that the MAK Carts are more humane than the current methods of gassing as employed by the CDFA.
If I was faced with having to put an animal to sleep gassing would not be my first choice, lethal injection would.

hi all. happy weekend. i m just reaching out with my frustration...all those cute little chicks out there and i am in the quarantine zone. :barnie
i also had 2 of my 4 chickens pass in april. the two that are left seem lonely. (i m guessing this becausie Cutie, my leghorn, attacked me yesterday...weird) and Cutie doesnt really like the silkie, so poor Sweetie is all alone. and everyone is posting pics of just hatched chicks... sad.
hope everyone is safe.

I don’t find gassing to be humane in the least. I do however think that the MAK Carts are more humane than the current methods of gassing as employed by the CDFA.
If I was faced with having to put an animal to sleep gassing would not be my first choice, lethal injection would.

They can't have untrained temp staff out there with sharps and controlled substances. But they could, easily, hire RVTs at say $40/hour to handle at least the microflocks that are mostly pets by putting them to sleep. They could be utilizing the MAK carts in other situations. There's been over $675m thrown at this, and for that citizens can reasonably expect that personal pets at least will be put down with ideal methods, and that their sacrifice was worth at least a test. . USDA/CDFA are telling people that birds have to die if within 1 km of a detected positive, so it's logical to give citizens info specific enough to verify that: cross street/city and dates

There hasn't been a reported positive in Riverside County for two weeks now for a disease that USDA said takes 4.4 days on average to kill. Yet the kill activity remains concentrated in Mira Loma, Nuevo and other places there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom