LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

Pics
The feed store in Half Moon Bay requires your to spray your shoes before entering their chick are, so some have gotten the message.

This is such a lousy situation. My heart goes out to everyone in the affected areas dealing with this.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was hoping people wouldn't think it was the HMB feed store!

There's @Morrigan ! We've missed your contribution to the dialogue.
I've been following this thread closely, but haven't much new information to add. I hope there is an end in sight soon. Not to be too negative, but I always worry that once any agency gets a budget for a task, incentive to end the task decreases.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 3.40.15 PM.png

That's good in macro, but residents have no idea where the present outbreaks are by city or how long ago they occurred. They have no idea what "less detections" v "more detections" are. The CDFA map doesn't even match the current USDA detections. They need to act like this is serious, which means being serious about their data.

I've been following this thread closely, but haven't much new information to add. I hope there is an end in sight soon. Not to be too negative, but I always worry that once any agency gets a budget for a task, incentive to end the task decreases.
Exactly, the whole thing turns into another bureaucratic make work project. Certainly the contracted workers being paid to do this job have no incentive to end the quarantine at all, and aren't acting like they do, either. Seems so much easier to expand government programs than it does to contract them... What I wonder is how long a time period went by in which they waited for funding and sat on their hands doing nothing?

Exactly, the whole thing turns into another bureaucratic make work project. Certainly the contracted workers being paid to do this job have no incentive to end the quarantine at all, and aren't acting like they do, either. Seems so much easier to expand government programs than it does to contract them... What I wonder is how long a time period went by in which they waited for funding and sat on their hands doing nothing?

May 2018 until April 2019. They waited almost a year.

It most certainly could have been helped, and not even with a $45M federal grant. A small egg farm asked officials to crack down on the cockfighting and was apparently told it was an ethnic issue. That is deeply racist in itself. The egg farm later had to depopulate. A livestock auction place in a hot zone was allowed by CDFA to sell birds in December. Five months passed, and now they've got unmarked cars and kill squads rolling up on them.

The locals on fb are scared, outraged, venting but ultimately, most are law abiding. One lady out in the desert had her birds swabbed in NOVEMBER and clear. These were two 12+ year old house hens actually kept inside before the quarantine. She was truthful about them being indoors, she got a kill order, she went through the appeal where she was told that was irrelevant, and that the birds would have to be killed. Rather than face the possibility of contract squads actually breaking into her house legally, she told them she would do it herself. They said they would have to be there. She told them she was on social media and that about 50 community members would be there. They backed off. Her elderly pets were humanely euthanized today by her, with their poor decomposing bodies now out in the shed, the "proof" for CDFA that they requested.

There have been about 450 birds detected, 1.5 million killed--a ratio of 99.96 percent healthy to infected. Let's be real here. This lady's birds were not threatening anyone. The other lady whose is now telling her autistic kid that his six pet chickens are with Jesus was no threat either. Not by the USDA data itself that shows small egglayers comprise about 2 percent of even the 450 detected.

If CDFA wants to do something even now? Encourage counties to adopt a no-tolerance policy on cockfighting, no pleading down, you go to jail and it goes on your record, same as a DUI. Make feed stores through the state post flyers on basic biosecurity and a paragraph about what's going on in SoCal. Make your first priority these 100+ rooster-dominant/"gamefowl" dominant flocks that are 95 percent of the detected. Give cross-streets, zip-codes and dates. And for gosh sakes keep your maps coordinated.

Last edited:
May 2018 until April 2019. They waited almost a year.

It most certainly could have been helped, and not even with a $45M federal grant. A small egg farm asked officials to crack down on the cockfighting and was apparently told it was an ethnic issue. That is deeply racist in itself. The egg farm later had to depopulate. A livestock auction place in a hot zone was allowed by CDFA to sell birds in December. Five months passed, and now they've got unmarked cars and kill squads rolling up on them.

The locals on fb are scared, outraged, venting but ultimately, most are law abiding. One lady out in the desert had her birds swabbed in NOVEMBER and clear. These were two 12+ year old house hens actually kept inside before the quarantine. She was truthful about them being indoors, she got a kill order, she went through the appeal where she was told that was irrelevant, and that the birds would have to be killed. Rather than face the possibility of contract squads actually breaking into her house legally, she told them she would do it herself. They said they would have to be there. She told them she was on social media and that about 50 community members would be there. They backed off. Her elderly pets were humanely euthanized today by her, with their poor decomposing bodies now out in the shed, the "proof" for CDFA that they requested.

There have been about 450 birds detected, 1.5 million killed--a ratio of 99.96 percent healthy to infected. Let's be real here. This lady's birds were not threatening anyone. The other lady whose is now telling her autistic kid that his six pet chickens are with Jesus was no threat either. Not by the USDA data itself that shows small egglayers comprise about 2 percent of even the 450 detected.

If CDFA wants to do something even now? Encourage counties to adopt a no-tolerance policy on cockfighting, no pleading down, you go to jail and it goes on your record, same as a DUI. Make feed stores through the state post flyers on basic biosecurity and a paragraph about what's going on in SoCal. Make your first priority these 100+ rooster-dominant/"gamefowl" dominant flocks that are 95 percent of the detected. Give cross-streets, zip-codes and dates. And for gosh sakes keep your maps coordinated.
This is all so sad and unnecessary, like they can't wait to pick on someone who has been forthcoming and done everything right, and yet be disrespected in such a major way. I can't help but wish that this poor lady with house chickens had flown under the radar with her birds and said nothing at all. There is no way that her elderly house hens could have contributed to this outbreak and no way that killing them will have contributed in any way, to its end, just senseless killing and disrespect in the name of pretending to follow a protocol. Certainly, the "no good deed goes unpunished" adage applies to this situation. It is heartbreaking. It is like the real undercover motive is to discourage the ownership of pet chickens, not control this outbreak of disease.

This is all so sad and unnecessary, like they can't wait to pick on someone who has been forthcoming and done everything right, and yet be disrespected in such a major way. I can't help but wish that this poor lady with house chickens had flown under the radar with her birds and said nothing at all. There is no way that her elderly house hens could have contributed to this outbreak and no way that killing them will have contributed in any way, to its end, just senseless killing and disrespect in the name of pretending to follow a protocol. Certainly, the "no good deed goes unpunished" adage applies to this situation. It is heartbreaking. It is like the real undercover motive is to discourage the ownership of pet chickens, not control this outbreak of disease.
They will get their just reward in hell. I’m sure God has set aside a few seats for them. ;)
The media is very quick to blame backyard poultry for any kind of non factory farm linked salmonella case. They blow it out of proportion. I believe the real reason Big Ag doesn’t like the backyard chicken trend or the self sustainable folks is because once you start to research the factory farming poultry industry it’s hard to ever look at them the same way.

Looking at this map, it is difficult to imagine that wild birds are vectors. This has the look of birds being moved around by humans. There needs to be good, widely disseminated information to make clear that you are not to sell/move your birds, plus a crackdown on anyone illegally moving or fighting chickens.

Back
Top Bottom