Losing a hen once a month.

The hottest part of the day is around mid 90's. I feed them scratch grains Autumn-Spring, garden scraps, table scraps that are deemed safe, and free-fed layer pellets. They have a large fenced area for foraging, and no food in it is unhealthy. I'd send a bird in for a necropsy, but wife says no dead birds in the freezer.
I'm sorry you've lost birds. That's so hard!

If you plan to send a bird for necropsy, you can't freeze it first. Fridge or ice chest with ice in it only to keep cold, not frozen. I'd check with the folks doing the necropsy for proper handling and transport.

Last edited:
It depends, some times a will have a lot of harvests for my garden that I don’t want and I’ll throw to my chickens, and I’ll throw out excess food scraps such as lettuce, blueberries.. before they go to waste. Maybe once a week at the least, and 3 times a week at the most. Amount of content and times fluctuate. I don’t feed scratch grains in the summer as it’ll increase body temperature which isn’t a good idea to do in scorching months. I’ve never had an issue with this in the past.
How are things going? Is the rest of your flock doing okay?

How are things going? Is the rest of your flock doing okay?
Lost two since. First was another hen, Easter egger. Found her dead in one of the nesting boxes with maggots coming out of her and dried egg yolk on her face. No idea what the hell happened. Second was my rooster to a hawk, which is unrelated.

Other then that, it’s been good.

Back
Top Bottom