Losing all hope that I'll get to keep my *girls* - tough day

ChickenFajita6

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
We purchased 6 "pullets" from TS back in March, they are 11 1/2 weeks old now. We chose 2 of each of the 3 pullet breeds they had available - Dominique, Faverolle, & Buff Orp.
After a lot of concern and asking for opinions here and elsewhere, the vast majority seemed to think our Dominiques were roos. I suspected one was, I was heartbroken to have to accept it was both of them. A few nights ago, one of them (the one I suspected) started crowing. So we knew we had to act fast - we can't keep roosters.

So today we drove 2 hours to deliver both of those "girls" to a new owner. I am so sad sitting here thinking of how afraid they probably are right now. I am seriously overprotective of them, have nagged my husband to no end on building them a predator proof coop, etc - and now they're just OUT THERE. I didn't want them to be dinner though, and the guy that took them said he wouldn't do that. I hope he was being honest. :(

On the way home from our journey we picked up 2 buff brahma pullets. We were told they were the same age as our flock but as soon as I saw them in person I thought - no way. This is a BIG breed right?? They are half the size of my other girls.
So now I have this nagging question in my mind .... are some of my others boys too? I have become hyper aware of the differences between both my Orps and both of my Faverolles. Not huge things, but still things I see that make me wonder if it's because one of them might be male.

And the 2 brahmas we got today. I am staring at them wondering are they REALLY pullets?? I can't believe they are as old as my other girls. Which makes me more concerned about the development I see on them. Maybe they are really just 6-8 weeks old...and boys.

UGH. This is how I feel today. UGH.

And I just hope Margaret and Leia are sleeping safely tonight. :(

If you take and post photos of all the birds we can help you verify gender (and age on your new birds). Also, while brahmas are a large breed, they are also slow maturing and develop that size over time -- did you ask the seller if the brahma were large fowl or bantam?

From 10 weeks onward pullets will start growing in the wattles and comb department, and these will start pinking up. Boys usually have very red combs and dangling wattles much earlier than the girls, and the difference is usually most apparent at 6-8 weeks old. Salmon Faverolles are easy to sex as boys are a different colour, but I'm not sure about other Faverolle colours. Hope that helps a bit.

Also :hugs for having to give some of your babies up. We know what that's like.

QUOTE="Ol Grey Mare, post: 18551547, member: 264663"]If you take and post photos of all the birds we can help you verify gender (and age on your new birds). Also, while brahmas are a large breed, they are also slow maturing and develop that size over time -- did you ask the seller if the brahma were large fowl or bantam?[/QUOTE]

She didn't specify if they were bantam or not, I just sent her a message to ask. This is all I have of them now. They are nervous and hiding at the far end of the brooder right now.
_8262.JPG

This is what is left of my flock. These photos are a week old now, I don't have very many of the 4 I still have because all the photo efforts the past week or so have been spent on the 2 Dominiques that I'd been hoping weren't boys....

The Faverolles - Popcorn on the left, Fajita on the right

_8049.JPG

The Buff Orps - Hei-Hei sitting up half asleep, Nugget all snuggled down between the flock (that is Leia, one of the roosters on the right)
_8053.JPG

They look like girls. So you can keep cuddling them! I love Faverolles so much - they are on my "Most Wanted" list. Hopefully your new additions will settle down soon and realise you are their new food lady.

Try not to stress about things you can't change. Some things you just have to deal with when you keep chooks or other pets.

Also, while worrying about having to rehome somebody, bear in mind how many of us "chook-lovers" there are. Chances are your "babies" have gone to another of us who'll love them as you do.

As things happen over time, it does get a little bit easier to deal with. I had to give up some of my chicks because they were boys, but I know the fellow who took them and I trust they are ok there on the farm. I'd hate to have to give up anyone else, but I know I can cope.

Back
Top Bottom