Losing another hen to this awful heat

sad.png
Sorry about Doe! I'm in Florida and it's hot here as well with little rain. When it gets too hot out I fill a bucket up with water and hold the chickens in it up to their necks. I take them out when I feel their body temp has gone down to normal. Then again this is an easy solution for me since I only have two. I also give them ice in their water and every so often lightly spray them with the hose.

Quote:
I have and may try to set one up this weekend. We have most of the parts leftover from the commercial houses.

Also considered a swamp cooler, but I'm told they won't work in this climate, too humid.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have and may try to set one up this weekend. We have most of the parts leftover from the commercial houses.

Also considered a swamp cooler, but I'm told they won't work in this climate, too humid.

I hope the mister system will help.
fl.gif

Quote:
I Just saw this Grit.... sorry about Doe..
hugs.gif

Thanks Red. She was probably my favorite out of the younger flock.

What about a sprinkler?? I sometimes set one up and let it run over their area.... they hate it and run..but it cools the area down.
Cant think of any more ideas..
sad.png
Hope they make it..
fl.gif

I want to say how sorry I am for all of you who have lost chickens to heat.
sad.png
It has been very warm here (92 degrees) but no humidity and lots of wind. Last night, I added crushed ice to my glass of wine (not the good stuff and it was hot
smile.png
)and went out to sit with the chickens before bedtime. They went crazy! They attacked my glass and bobbed for ice chips. They actually grabbed the chips out of the wine and crunched them down. I wish I had a picture. So, tonight, I am thinking about bringing them a dish of water with ice chips floating in it.
smile.png
I think they will have a good time.
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom