Losing breast feathers

Yep cold water helps them cool off faster which will help molting. when it gets 85 degrees Fahrenheit or above i give my chickens watermelon, they love it and it cools them down :)
Mine will not eat anything but their food and cracked corn. They are afraid of everything else. I just put cherry tomatoes in the other day and they moved them around a bit but never ate them! They are super picky. Thank you for all your help tonight, I appreciate it!

38B628DB-1FE2-4437-B48D-84C55E14FEBE.jpeg
38B628DB-1FE2-4437-B48D-84C55E14FEBE.jpeg AE513A94-1704-4B97-9442-4F23BB0E0EF9.jpeg 7C1848DD-D7FD-4A9D-AA90-BA53FD05111C.jpeg
Can you show a better picture of the skin where the feathers are missing?
Likely she has plucked the feathers out, but seeing the bare area would be helpful.” [\QUOTE]

Ok so here’s an update...it was the wrong chicken losing feathers. The other chicken is absolutely fine other than the foot issue which I have bought everything to try and fix it without doing surgery so hopefully I can help her, thank you for the information. So I noticed yesterday my other chicken (I only have 2), had weird tail feathers, so I picked her up and was checking her out. She is just coming out of being broody for a second time in two months. She is about almost a year and a half. I checked out her tail and it looked really dark but she wouldn’t let me touch it so today after researching a ton I was convinced she had fly strike so I gave her a nice epsom salt bath and realized no fly strike, I shouldn’t have freaked out about that. I do think she is molting. She did go through a mini molt last year in December around her neck, is it possible that her backside could be molting? Here are the pictures from around the areas I noticed, I think those are pin feathers that are coming in but maybe not? That is dirt on her feathers and not mites, I did examine that thoroughly. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom