Hen Losing Feathers / Red Skin

cqliddell

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
IMG_0258.jpeg

HELP! What am I dealing with here? Only hen in my flock losing feathers around bottom and oddly on her head. Bullying? Mites?

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 3794592
HELP! What am I dealing with here? Only hen in my flock losing feathers around bottom and oddly on her head. Bullying? Mites?
Welcome To BYC

Do you see any mites? Check at night with a headlamp.

Do you have rooster? The feather loss on the head could be from mating and/or feather picking.
Loss on the bottom usually is from picking. You can apply some NuStock cream which may help deter picking and sooth the skin.

She's being pecked.
Caused by boredom, tight spaces, poor diet or chickens being jerks.
Thank you, I thought that may be the case. They free range during the day and have a 15x15 covered run (coop is 6x6 and has 2 long roosting bars, ample space).
you got a rooster? when breeding, some males bite down on the neck feathers for added leverage.
no roosters

What's their diet?
16% layer feed. Occasional oats. 3 x per week additional protein such as tuna (once weekly) or a ground beef. I feed back eggs and shells a couple times a week. Small about of scratch daily. Other treats such as cabbage / berries occasionally.

16% layer feed. Occasional oats. 3 x per week additional protein such as tuna (once weekly) or a ground beef. I feed back eggs and shells a couple times a week. Small about of scratch daily. Other treats such as cabbage / berries occasionally.
If possible, I'd get a higher protein layer, you can get 18% anymore or switch to grower or all flock with oyster shell on the side. Cut out all the extras, especially the oats, eggs, and scratch for now.

Back
Top Bottom