Losing chicks slowly?

RooRuhRooRuhROOOO

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
So I got 9 babies on May 25 ..one was DOA in the box. The rest looked good. I lost one on May 31. Don't know why. I lost one this a.m. it was still barely alive when I found it but too far gone to be saved. I have another that seems to want to stay stuck under the brooder...i have a brinsea radiant brooder. The chicks outside in my lanai in an area out of sun our temps are warm during the into the high 80s and maybe lowest 70 at night (south Florida). They are on shavings. I started on loose hay but read somewhere shavings were better. they have 2 sources of water which i change about 3 times daily..because shavings do get into the waterers. one has electrolyte the other does not. They are on organic chick starter and I do offer small amts of chick grit and ground oatmeal and a poultry booster each day as i had some issues with pasty butt (not on the 2 that died nor on the one that is currently "fading") Anyone have any other suggestions of stuff to try? I am new at this hobby..and I did have these chicks vaccinated before purchase.

Do you have grit available for them? And what's the temperature in the brooder?
Yes, they have grit and they have a Brincey so it’s radiant heat. I can’t tell you the temperature underneath. I haven’t set higher on one side and lower on the other because some of them are smaller I lost to this morning.

Do you have a pic of your setup? Unfortunately sometimes chicks just don’t make it. The ones that haven’t made it so far, have you noted any symptoms prior? Lethargic? Not eating? Panting or runny nose/sneezing? Were they walking fine? Did they seem to be growing at the same rate as the others?

Do you have a pic of your setup? Unfortunately sometimes chicks just don’t make it. The ones that haven’t made it so far, have you noted any symptoms prior? Lethargic? Not eating? Panting or runny nose/sneezing? Were they walking fine? Did they seem to be growing at the same rate as the others?
The two that died today with both olive eggers and mid sized. This was a mixed batch and i dont think i was shipped what i ordered but i am not sure. The biggest ones are whiting true blues they have grown the most but also were the largest when they got here. I have lost 2 of 4 pale ones — one was DOA and the other died 5 days in. The remaining 2 pale ones are smaller and quite possibly younger but one is teeny tiny has not grown at all. She has had pasty butt which i have cleaned each time. I will add a photo

The two that died today with both olive eggers and mid sized. This was a mixed batch and i dont think i was shipped what i ordered but i am not sure. The biggest ones are whiting true blues they have grown the most but also were the largest when they got here. I have lost 2 of 4 pale ones — one was DOA and the other died 5 days in. The remaining 2 pale ones are smaller and quite possibly younger but one is teeny tiny has not grown at all. She has had pasty butt which i have cleaned each time. I will add a photo
Unless they were bantams I wouldn’t expect teeny tiny. Typically they should double weight in the first week. It’s possibly it’s Failure to Thrive. Of the 3 newest ones we have (EEs) one was about half the size of the others for several weeks (even though they were super close in size when we got them).

37197FCE-1CB1-4EF7-8427-9735A3F59542.jpeg
3FB5F67E-6D1E-4B60-B3F0-05630FE898F4.jpeg
3FB5F67E-6D1E-4B60-B3F0-05630FE898F4.jpeg

Unless they were bantams I wouldn’t expect teeny tiny. Typically they should double weight in the first week. It’s possibly it’s Failure to Thrive. Of the 3 newest ones we have (EEs) one was about half the size of the others for several weeks (even though they were super close in size when we got them).
So none are supposed to be bantams — The order was five true blues, and four ove Eggers, but I’m not sure what I was sent to be honest. They were definitely all much smaller on the 25th. This space I need to get bigger swimming pools at this point but anyway I’m really not sure what I’m doing wrong. They all seem to be eating and drinking right up until this morning when one of them was definitely off and so was another. They have two sources of water one has the electrolyte in it and the other does not. I change the water multiple times a day because of the dirt.

It's not pasty butt, is it?
one has it not continuously but I have cleaned at a few times the last couple days...that is the teeny tiny one. The two that died today did not have it. However I did notice from the time I got them their wings seemed "droopy"

Back
Top Bottom