Losing Chicks

slick4591

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Farmersville, TX
Wednesday I started out with 14 SLW's about 2-4 days old. Yesterday one died and I couldn't figure out why. This morning the rest looked fine, but I noticed they were all acting as though they were going to sleep while standing, some to the point of almost falling over. A little later I noticed one had separated itself from the group and I checked it over. I found dried feces all around the vent so I cleaned it up and checked the others. Found a few more like it so everyone got cleaned up. A couple of hours later I had another dying.

I've been watching carefully and there is no bloody stool. Their brooder had some new shavings in it but I have now removed the chicks to a different brooder just in case the shaving were causing the symptoms. They are on a non-medicated chick starter and have plenty of fresh water. The brooder temp is at 85.

I'd would appreciate any ideas.

Anything more than 85 and they huddle at the far end away from the light. It's 89 under the light, 85 in the middle of the brooder and 83 at the far end.

You said you were using pine shavings, but are they the LARGE flake or fine? They will eat the fine shavings. I don't know what to tell you, maybe put them on medicated feed and some vitamins too. It could have been the pasty but thing. Are there bigger chicks with them that are keeping them from water and feed? I have had that happen too. If so add more feeders and waterers or move them to another brooder till they can fend for themselves.

I think one of the supposed reasons for pasty butt is the temps not being right. That is weird that they would not huddle under the heat source. It definitely seems too low to me. Seems like mine like to live under it most of the time. I don't use a light though... It is a heater coil thing. They run around and eat and do silly stuff but then go under the heater to warm back up like chicks would run under mom I guess.

You said you were using pine shavings, but are they the LARGE flake or fine?  They will eat the fine shavings.  I don't know what to tell you, maybe put them on medicated feed and some vitamins too.  It could have been the pasty but thing.  Are there bigger chicks with them that are keeping them from water and feed?  I have had that happen too.  If so add more feeders and waterers or move them to another brooder till they can fend for themselves.

You may be on to something as it was the small pine shavings. The pasty butt thing was all yellow and looked like it was the digested yolk. They are in there alone, so no competition for feed. The larger chicks have their own brooder. Yeah, I've been paying special attention as to the temperature and what they are doing.

Thanks for the ideas, ladies!

Back
Top Bottom