Losing feathers and lethargic

You'll have to physically inspect her for lice and mites. Look through her feathers for bugs.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Photos of the hen and her droppings too please.

You'll have to physically inspect her for lice and mites. Look through her feathers for bugs.

I Don’t know if the crop is emptying at night. This is my first time raising chickens - it’s a big learning curve. Here are the photos requested. She looks puffed up. She’s a big girl to start but she is looking a little larger today.

Attachments

• 2C8CB2A9-54F1-4305-B852-BC5A77C4A991.jpeg
    2C8CB2A9-54F1-4305-B852-BC5A77C4A991.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 15
  • EDD2368F-CEC9-4B24-910E-0E0DA2235E7E.jpeg
    EDD2368F-CEC9-4B24-910E-0E0DA2235E7E.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 38C1CBD6-B5D9-41C0-A539-F1ECB8F65C66.jpeg
    38C1CBD6-B5D9-41C0-A539-F1ECB8F65C66.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 14
I Don’t know if the crop is emptying at night. This is my first time raising chickens - it’s a big learning curve. Here are the photos requested. She looks puffed up. She’s a big girl to start but she is looking a little larger today.

she also won’t let me touch her. Usually she lets me pet her and pick her up. Now she runs when I get to close. And she’ll sit in the run with her eyes closed.

Losing feathers is often due to molt, but it would be good to look her over for lice/mites.
If she's hard to catch during the day, then carefully examine her at night when she's roosting. A bird in molt doesn't feel well and it can be a bit painful for them to be handled so just be gentle.

A crop should have food in it at night and be empty in the morning. If she indeed is molting, then she may not eat a lot, seems like mine don't eat as much. You can offer some wet feed made with buttermilk a couple of times a week to give some interest.

Losing feathers is often due to molt, but it would be good to look her over for lice/mites.
If she's hard to catch during the day, then carefully examine her at night when she's roosting. A bird in molt doesn't feel well and it can be a bit painful for them to be handled so just be gentle.

A crop should have food in it at night and be empty in the morning. If she indeed is molting, then she may not eat a lot, seems like mine don't eat as much. You can offer some wet feed made with buttermilk a couple of times a week to give some interest.
Delores laid an egg today. Will hens lay eggs if they are sick? I wouldn’t think so … I checked but don’t see mites or lice. Maybe it’s just molting?

Back
Top Bottom