Losing goat kids!!!

Lil Chirp

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
I am getting sooo many offers from people who want goat kids but they all end up dead before we negotiate, and they all seem to die from a different cause.
They get abandoned by their moms, they freeze to death, and they get beat up by the other goats.
But they are a hardy breed of goat and it isn't working out.
Any advice?
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
its not a yard its a 4 acre field and the shelters are in good condition and they have plenty of fresh bedding. I just hope that the last two survive.
Whats also scary is that we have a pregnant goat that we didnt want pregnant because of her size and we dont know if she'll die or not.

First - I am really sorry about the babies you lost.

Without knowing more details it's hard for others to really give helpful advice.

Are you keeping the kids in a separate enclosed stall with just their mommas for at least a few days (preferably longer) after they are born? That will help keep them warm and safe from other members of the herd. That also helps you keep an eye on them to make sure they are really nursing and growing properly and momma's taking care of them. Also, you can use a heat lamp in this really cold weather to help keep the kids warm until they can regulate their own body temperature.

yes and for the first week or so they are okay but then they end up getting hit through the fence or they get their heads or their legs stuck and or get stepped on by mom. But usualy we let them out before that and they die some other way.

Survival of the fittest is what my mother always says.

Last edited:
I tried texaschickmama.
It was good for a while but all the goats and the dog tried to get in while the mamma finds a way out. thanks for the help guys.
hu.gif

What type of goats do you have and it also could be your feeding program and worming program...I had to change mine a few yrs back as ine were having problems ...also the buck could have a STD and it can cause problems also...lots of things can happen and we have all been there at some point in time...I just lost a set of triplets today and they were born early and dont know why either...

what sort of goats are they?

I never have any problems with mine, the lower rank doe always stay away from the lead ones in shelters hence their kids never get killed by the others. Mum and previous year daughters stick together and look after each other kids... so is other does... all seems to take turn looking after the kids in a nursery group when the others are browsing......

Back
Top Bottom