Losing hope with chicks that hate me 😣

I’ve noticed that most chicks don’t like being handled until they are fully feathered. Growing in new feathers is rather uncomfortable. I eventually got in the habit of just going and sitting in the chicken tractor with them and basically ignored them. I’d take a book or some paperwork. Eventually when they would get tired they would come and perch on my legs but it took awhile. And mine didn’t get comfortable with being picked up until they started laying. My roosters have always been less social even at a few days old so that may be part of it if you haven’t gotten straight run before. Also like others have said RIRs are one of the friendliest breed so other breeds may seem unfriendly in comparison.
Yes the roos are going as soon as I can 100 percent identify them all....unless I happen to fall inlove with one of them. I prefer a hen only flock for sure.

A few minutes before I read your post I came in from the coop where I had to move my bully RIR off the juvenile roost and move all 7 nine week olds onto their roost from the nest boxes where they were hiding 🙄. I was actually having discouraging thoughts about my flock myself. My originals that I got last April are wonderful. That consists of 4 EEs, 3 leghorns & a silkie. Then last fall I added 4 that were older, about to start laying. Apart from the leghorn, it was an RIR and a barred rock and I tell you what those chickens have NEVER warmed to me. But I’m not surprised. Like I said they were older and they didn’t know me like my originals did and honestly I’ve heard RIR and barred rock can be rather unfriendly anyway so I chalk it all up to that. And while I do get discouraged sometimes and wish they all got along perfectly and loved me, that’s just not how chickens are. We want them to be like our other pets and love us unconditionally but most of the time that’s just not going to be the case. I will say I agree with others that when they start laying they calm down a lot. Our leghorns were super flighty and I couldn’t stand them and then they started laying and now they are my favorite. They hang out with me while I’m gardening and they tolerate being handled the best. It’s funny how things turn out. Good luck with your flock and I hope it turns out well for you!

My chicks are 6-8 weeks and do not like to be held or petted by me either. They run away from me as well. They like my 3.5 year old boy though. They're less fearful of him because of his size, and I let him be the one to hand them treats. I wish they would not fear me either, but I'm glad they at least like my son. Reading these posts have made me hopeful when they start laying as well. Hopefully things will turn for the better for you and your flock!

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... 😣
Maybe they are sensing your frustration and that is making it that much harder, idk... one of my ladies was extremely antisocial until she started laying and now she's cool as hell. I hope they start coming around :hugs

Last edited:
A few minutes before I read your post I came in from the coop where I had to move my bully RIR off the juvenile roost and move all 7 nine week olds onto their roost from the nest boxes where they were hiding 🙄. I was actually having discouraging thoughts about my flock myself. My originals that I got last April are wonderful. That consists of 4 EEs, 3 leghorns & a silkie. Then last fall I added 4 that were older, about to start laying. Apart from the leghorn, it was an RIR and a barred rock and I tell you what those chickens have NEVER warmed to me. But I’m not surprised. Like I said they were older and they didn’t know me like my originals did and honestly I’ve heard RIR and barred rock can be rather unfriendly anyway so I chalk it all up to that. And while I do get discouraged sometimes and wish they all got along perfectly and loved me, that’s just not how chickens are. We want them to be like our other pets and love us unconditionally but most of the time that’s just not going to be the case. I will say I agree with others that when they start laying they calm down a lot. Our leghorns were super flighty and I couldn’t stand them and then they started laying and now they are my favorite. They hang out with me while I’m gardening and they tolerate being handled the best. It’s funny how things turn out. Good luck with your flock and I hope it turns out well for you!
Thank you!

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... 😣
This must be so frustrating. Have you tried sitting on the ground or in the coop with them? Let them get used to just having you around without chasing them or trying to pick them up. This has worked every time for me. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience but does produce results. As a chick, my welsummer hen was the most fearful and skittish chick I ever had. Now she’s a lap chicken. Comes running to get cuddles anytime I sit down. Try it!

I would hang out with them more and give flick party worms! My babies (who aren’t the friendliest) will give me the time of day if I toss these/hold them in hand

Mine were like this when they were little. It took maybe 6 months for them to realize I was the source of food and treats. Now I feel like freaking snow white whenever I do anything outside because they are so underfoot. My buff brahma even "helps" with construction projects, no fear of power tools at all. Just give them time and treats.

Back
Top Bottom