Losing hope with chicks that hate me šŸ˜£

I think you have to start handling them very young if you want friendly birds! My guineas don't trust people and never will but they don't fear me it's more of a respect thing with them. Now my chickens just love me,follow me around,jump all over me,peck at my shoes-some will perch on my knees and take a nap!! And I'm kinda scary to look at!! Attention and especially food is what they crave-you need to spend time with them(if you have it). Feed em by hand-let them come to you and take their snacks...
Also,I find that barred rocks are the smartest and friendliest birds in my flock!

They have that instinct for a good reason. The skittish ones survive longer than the most docile ones when predators come around. I have had chickens from numerous breeds. Tameness has been more of an individual trait than breed specific. If I need to catch the crazy ones, I wait until roosting time. I enjoy the friendly ones but never take it personally if they don't want me near. They are highly instinct-driven creatures.

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... šŸ˜£
like others have said, their comfort level should improve over time. when our now 14 week old girls were little chicks, all of them seemed to hate being held, even though we did all the ā€œright thingsā€, like youā€™ve done. Since being in the coop itā€™s clear that some of them are never going to be snuggling with me. But I bring a chair to their run and just sit with them. After several weeks, 4 of my 8 would jump on my lap. Two of them would jump off the moment I tried to pet them. One of them would let me pet her, but was hyper vigilant. The fourth one began taking serious naps on my lap. Now, when I visit, she immediately jumps in my lap and hunkers down. Needless to say, Iā€™m quite attached to her. On the other hand, if I try to pick her up, sheā€™ll have no part of it.

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... šŸ˜£
You do have the wrong chicken breeds. Not all chickens are friendly and not all chickens are wild. The EE - with Ameraucana blood lines tend to be wild. I have 8 different breeds of chickens and some are friendly and some are not. The Whiting True Blue - are wild. The Silkies are tame, as are the Svart Hona's They are such an inquisitive breed. I have Buff Brahma (Banty) and they are friendly. The Black Copper Marans are in the middle of the pack - Ask yourself - do you want big Birds, Medium sized birds or small birds. BIG birds - I would recommend Croad Langshan - they are big gentle giants. The Cochins are friendly - like your RIR, So sit back and ask yourself some question - What do I want from my hens - eggs?, Friendship? size? etc. Do some research on each breed - and then go out an buy eggs, chicks or whatever you want. Its not a failure to start over again - just adjust your goals and go from there.

All of them have different personalities. When my Whiting true blue was young she was a skitso, now one of the friendliest hens we have, my orpington is friendly but pushy, lol, and my brahma is friendly but prefers not to be messed with. My three new additions(welsummer, blue orpington, and olive egger-maran mix) all almost 14 weeks now are still up in the air. The welsummer is very friendly and very nosy, blue orpington very standoffish, will not take treats from us, and the olive egger curious but cautious. I'm fairly new to chickens but from what I can see you never know what you're going to getšŸ˜‰my Whiting true blue chilling with my husband

Attachments

• 20210521_162315.jpg
    20210521_162315.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 13

Sorry to hear the little guys are not very sociable... yet. From my experience-and I'm no expert in chickens-I've found particular breeds to be more friendly and seeking interaction than others.

My Ameraucanas love me for the FOOD I give them, but don't seek to be cuddled, although one does jump on my shoulder (but I don't think she does it for companionship; more like she's looking if I have treats and she has always been the Alpha in the coop).

On the other hand my Australorps seem to want to be next to me and pick on my clothing and chortle at me; the Brahma and the Buff Orpingtons are also more social. Out of my three Laced Wyandottes, all of them are curious to see what I've got or am doing, but only one tries to find ways to always jump on my shoulder and go for a ride.

A month ago I brought home 5 Rhodies; some want interaction and some are flighty. I think chickens are like people in that there are introverts, extroverts and some are in-between. Give your little chicks some time; perhaps as they get older and develop their character you'll discover that there are some who are curious about "humans" and look to hang out with you. Daily interaction and spending time with them helps build relationships, as I'm sure you've experienced with your previous flock.

They're young and still finding their personalities! Good luck and don't give up yet!

Excellent advice on here about letting nature take its course. I have never been one to handle my chickens a great deal. I pay close attention to their daily habits and if one begins acting off kilter or out of sorts I will investigate further. Otherwise, I let chickens be chickens.
The only problem with this is, how can you investigate further, when there's a potential problem, if the chickens get so frantic that they injure themselves if they even think you're getting close enough to touch them? I practice the usual whenever I go in the run--move slowly, talk calmly, sit on a low stool, pretend to ignore them, etc., but it isn't making any difference. I needed to check one girl's foot, so I waited until almost dark when they were on the roost, but as soon as I got near the roost, talking low and soothingly, they all started squawking and flying recklessly in all directions, so I had to give it up before they could do major harm to themselves. (fortunately the foot was fine the next day).

The only problem with this is, how can you investigate further, when there's a potential problem, if the chickens get so frantic that they injure themselves if they even think you're getting close enough to touch them? I practice the usual whenever I go in the run--move slowly, talk calmly, sit on a low stool, pretend to ignore them, etc., but it isn't making any difference. I needed to check one girl's foot, so I waited until almost dark when they were on the roost, but as soon as I got near the roost, talking low and soothingly, they all started squawking and flying recklessly in all directions, so I had to give it up before they could do major harm to themselves. (fortunately the foot was fine the next day).
Wait until full dark and you can handle them easily. Cover a flashlight with red fabric held in place with a hair tie, they can't see very well in red light, or get a flashlight with a red bulb option.

Back
Top Bottom