Losing my patience with neighbor's dog....

Yeah, I kind of liked that white lie idea too. If it comes to more serious intrusions, it's an option to consider. However, I don't want to be that neighbor that is known for putting out poison that could kill their pets, so even a white lie about poison might not be in my best interest.
I noticed you mentioned the danger of the road to them last time.

That is a genuine danger to the dog, but not one that would be your fault. So warning them about it makes you look like a good person instead of a bad person, while still pointing out that the dog itself is in danger.

I noticed you mentioned the danger of the road to them last time.

That is a genuine danger to the dog, but not one that would be your fault. So warning them about it makes you look like a good person instead of a bad person, while still pointing out that the dog itself is in danger.

Thank you, @NatJ, for picking up on that comment. That is exactly what I was thinking at the time. Although the dog did not go out on the road, it was close enough that I could stretch my concern for the dog and talk to the owners about the road hazard to their dog.

From your description of her health, it sounds like that particular dog may not even be around next year to bother with your chickens! It is good you are able to keep a close eye on your flock until those neighbors clear out for the year.

We have a chocolate lab that recently began to creatively investigate outside of his own yard, and after finding out he crossed the (busy) road, he now spends his freedom time on a long leash under a shady tree.

From your description of her health, it sounds like that particular dog may not even be around next year to bother with your chickens! It is good you are able to keep a close eye on your flock until those neighbors clear out for the year.

We have a chocolate lab that recently began to creatively investigate outside of his own yard, and after finding out he crossed the (busy) road, he now spends his freedom time on a long leash under a shady tree.

The dog is definitely in her last years. Just limps along and cannot even run away. Very sweet dog and had no problem with me putting her on a short rope to walk her back home. If she did finally break into the chicken run, I don't know if she could catch a chicken unless she was able to corner it somehow. But I certainly don't want to underestimate the potential downside of an attack.

I have not seen the dog today, so maybe my interventions have worked and the family is being more responsible with their pet. If nothing else, I hope the fear of their dog getting hit on the road was enough to wake them up. Like I said, we have had lots of dogs out in this neighborhood over the 30+ years I have lived here. Most of them get run over by a car well before they reach old age. It's a real concern and why I personally have not had any dogs while living here.

Better a long leash under a shady tree than a short life ending in a shallow grave from being hit on the road. When you can't supervise your pets, at least keep them safe.

Did your neighbors finally take of their dog and prevent it from bothering your chickens?
No. They still don't watch him. But luckily he hasn't chosen to come down here for a while.

If you don't have time to train/give your doggo the attention they need, you don't deserve to have a dog!!
His owners haven't trained him at all and it kills me to see such a smart pup using his brain in the wrong way. He won't even sit unless you force him.
Worst of all, he jumped on people and mouths when you do something like grab his collar! (which he only wears if I put it on him 🙄) And he jumped on an elderly neighbor one time and could have easily knocked her down!!

No. They still don't watch him. But luckily he hasn't chosen to come down here for a while.

If you don't have time to train/give your doggo the attention they need, you don't deserve to have a dog!!
His owners haven't trained him at all and it kills me to see such a smart pup using his brain in the wrong way. He won't even sit unless you force him.
Worst of all, he jumped on people and mouths when you do something like grab his collar! (which he only wears if I put it on him 🙄) And he jumped on an elderly neighbor one time and could have easily knocked her down!!

I agree that people with dogs should be more responsible for them, and I will add proper training.

Unfortunately, I have relatives that don't believe in that at all. When one of my relatives got a new puppy for her boy, I suggested she enroll them both in a dog training course. Good for the dog, probably better for the boy. Anyways, she said that she did not believe in dog training and that a dog should be allowed to be a dog. Oh well, I tried.

Dog got run over by a pickup because he was never trained to stay in the yard or follow commands. He would chase after cyclists out for a ride and joggers out for a run. One day, while out on the street, he was run over. Not too hard to see that one coming. Beautiful dog, did not deserve that end.

Some people should only get goldfish as pets.

I couldn’t imagine my dog running about. She stays home and ignores everything until someone/something steps in the property.

I agree some people shouldn’t have dogs.

Just hatched ten chicks between two broody hens. All of them come right up to her for a bite of her bone. If they press, she moves away till they’re done.

Just hatched ten chicks between two broody hens. All of them come right up to her for a bite of her bone. If they press, she moves away till they’re done.

If I ever get another dog, that's the kind I would want. What breed is she? Is it the breed or the training that has her living so well with baby chicks?

I agree that people with dogs should be more responsible for them, and I will add proper training.

Unfortunately, I have relatives that don't believe in that at all. When one of my relatives got a new puppy for her boy, I suggested she enroll them both in a dog training course. Good for the dog, probably better for the boy. Anyways, she said that she did not believe in dog training and that a dog should be allowed to be a dog. Oh well, I tried.

Dog got run over by a pickup because he was never trained to stay in the yard or follow commands. He would chase after cyclists out for a ride and joggers out for a run. One day, while out on the street, he was run over. Not too hard to see that one coming. Beautiful dog, did not deserve that end.

Some people should only get goldfish as pets.
What breed?

Back
Top Bottom