Losing my patience with neighbor's dog....

good relationships with neighbours are a blessing you should try to keep.

I agree.

It’s also a good thing to make the run safe against dogs if there are more dogs trespassing.

I did strengthen some spots in the fencing that were shown to need more work. So, my fencing is in better shape now than it was before the dog visits.

Is such a rule possible around the lake by local law too?

I live 15 minutes from town. We really don't have much local law and certainly no HOA to worry about. That's the way I think we in the neighborhood prefer it. Just makes it more our responsibility to get along with each other and work out our differences the best we can. I have good neighbors, and get along with them for 33+ years. There is value in keeping those relationships.

Somethings been digging holes in my raised garden beds for months trying to get in but can't. The apron around the bottom is the only thing that's stopped it (You can't see the apron in the picture )You need an apron around the bottom to keep dogs out.

Attachments

• Predator 07182022 045.jpg
    Predator 07182022 045.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 8
You need an apron around the bottom to keep dogs out.

Thanks. None of the dogs coming around have attempted to dig into the chicken run - yet.

I think there are maybe a few reasons for not digging. First of all, I turned my chicken run into a chicken run compost system, and the compost litter is about 12 inches high. So, when the dog looks at the fence, it sees a solid type wall (compost) of about 12 inches deep and maybe decides not to try to dig underneath it.

Second, I only let my chickens out during the daytime, so at night, the chickens are locked up in the Fort Knox coop, out of sight, and out of attention to any dog that may pass in the night. Without something in sight to attack, I don't think they just want to dig a random hole under the fencing at night.

I have heard lots of good things about predator aprons around the fencing, but, so far, I have not felt the need to lay out more money to lay down more wire for an attack that probably will not happen. Of course, if I am proved wrong, then I will be laying down a predator apron after the fact. I have had my chickens 3+ years and no signs of any digging around my fence line. I only intend to pay for as much protection as I reasonably see the need. I have to assume the risk of my setup being lower cost predator resistant and not totally predator proof at a much higher cost.

Check with your local law enforcement...poultry IS livestock in my state..any nuisance animal that bothers harasses or kills livestock can be shot. Also most don't allow animals at large..Then let the neighbor know...if they care that little about the dog..it is better off dead.

Thanks. None of the dogs coming around have attempted to dig into the chicken run - yet.

I think there are maybe a few reasons for not digging. First of all, I turned my chicken run into a chicken run compost system, and the compost litter is about 12 inches high. So, when the dog looks at the fence, it sees a solid type wall (compost) of about 12 inches deep and maybe decides not to try to dig underneath it.

Second, I only let my chickens out during the daytime, so at night, the chickens are locked up in the Fort Knox coop, out of sight, and out of attention to any dog that may pass in the night. Without something in sight to attack, I don't think they just want to dig a random hole under the fencing at night.

I have heard lots of good things about predator aprons around the fencing, but, so far, I have not felt the need to lay out more money to lay down more wire for an attack that probably will not happen. Of course, if I am proved wrong, then I will be laying down a predator apron after the fact. I have had my chickens 3+ years and no signs of any digging around my fence line. I only intend to pay for as much protection as I reasonably see the need. I have to assume the risk of my setup being lower cost predator resistant and not totally predator proof at a much higher cost.
I have found shooting nails around the perimeter ..through the wood, pointing outward, a good detergent..I space them every six inches...

Check with your local law enforcement...poultry IS livestock in my state..any nuisance animal that bothers harasses or kills livestock can be shot. Also most don't allow animals at large..Then let the neighbor know...if they care that little about the dog..it is better off dead.

I have found shooting nails around the perimeter ..through the wood, pointing outward, a good detergent..I space them every six inches...

Thank you for the responses. The neighbors finally took control of their dog and it stopped coming over to my property. Fortunately, things worked out well, no chickens were harmed, and the dog went back home with the visiting family. The family was only here at the lake for a 2 week vacation.

I personally don't like the idea of shooting nails around the perimeter. I do have kids coming over to look at the chickens and I don't want any of them getting cut on a rusty nail. More likely, I'd probably brush up against a nail and get myself infected. It might be a good deterrent for predators, but I'll have to pass on that idea where I live.

Thank you for the responses. The neighbors finally took control of their dog and it stopped coming over to my property. Fortunately, things worked out well, no chickens were harmed, and the dog went back home with the visiting family. The family was only here at the lake for a 2 week vacation.

I personally don't like the idea of shooting nails around the perimeter. I do have kids coming over to look at the chickens and I don't want any of them getting cut on a rusty nail. More likely, I'd probably brush up against a nail and get myself infected. It might be a good deterrent for predators, but I'll have to pass on that idea where I live.

I count myself blessed to have neighbors like yourself who are kind to our kids & old dogs!

Have you tried talking to the dog? I know it sounds silly, but I recently got a dog and he of course is chasing and biting at my chickens. Yesterday, I kid you not, he ran after them I yelled at him, he stopped, I grabbed his face looked him dead in the eye and told him, “no chickens”. The rest of the night as both the chicks and the dog were running free in the yard, he stayed away from them… I kept reminding him of course, “no chickens” he put his head down and walked away.
If this doesn’t work, I’ll let you know but I sware I think I’m training him 😂 we will see.. he watches me feed and love them like I do him so I think he knows.. he’s learned with the cats too 🤣 I get that it’s not your dog, but if he keeps coming around you might just want to have this discussion with him 😂😂

Have you tried talking to the dog? I know it sounds silly, but I recently got a dog and he of course is chasing and biting at my chickens. Yesterday, I kid you not, he ran after them I yelled at him, he stopped, I grabbed his face looked him dead in the eye and told him, “no chickens”. The rest of the night as both the chicks and the dog were running free in the yard, he stayed away from them… I kept reminding him of course, “no chickens” he put his head down and walked away.
If this doesn’t work, I’ll let you know but I sware I think I’m training him 😂 we will see.. he watches me feed and love them like I do him so I think he knows.. he’s learned with the cats too 🤣 I get that it’s not your dog, but if he keeps coming around you might just want to have this discussion with him 😂😂
I think that does sometimes work.

The dog doesn't understand the words you use, but many dogs are good at understanding tone of voice and body language, so they often do get the point.

In this case, OP's problem is already solved: the dog & owners left (vacation over), and the chickens were fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom