Losing roosters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeasureChix, Dec 16, 2011.

1. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    I went out to take care of my critters and found my splash Marans rooster dead in his yard. His girls are all healthy looking, no problems. This is not the first one. I have lost a few other roosters this year with no obvious signs of problems. Maybe internal parasites? Why the roosters and not the hens? Are the girls hardier? The boys have died months apart from each other. They were unrelated, different breeds and not kept in adjoining yards. I'm really sad about my splash marans and I hate to think I'm doing something wrong. It's not a predator, there is no physical damage to the birds. Each time, it's the only rooster in the pen.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas... or even just a guess.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Gosh, I really don't know. But it might be worth sending him to OSU for necropsy to be sure.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. [​IMG]

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Do you have any neighbors that might be silencing your roos.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'd be checking them for parasites. Roos are at greater risk from mites because they are not as picky in their hygiene as hens. If you have not wormed them recently then I would also look into doing that.

Sorry for your losses. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by