Losing the flock - Update PICS pg7...

What can you do to encourage crows? They'll chase off hawks.

We had a pet crow when I was growing up and my dad fed it raw hamburger.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Sounds like someone works for the USDA here, I have a 40x100 coop with a pop door that opens to a 10x10 fenced in area, now that is free ranging at its best.
th.gif

Quote:
Sounds like someone works for the USDA here, I have a 40x100 coop with a pop door that opens to a 10x10 fenced in area, now that is free ranging at its best.
th.gif

Ok.... if free range doesn't mean "ranging around free in the yard without roofs, walls or restrictions".... what IS the correct word for that?

My hens live in a 99sf hen house & have a 63sf outside run available 24/7... I wouldn't consider them free ranging, they are cooped chickens.

My boys have a shelter with a roof & no walls to sleep in, the rest of the time they are free to roam around our acre of land... I thought that was free ranging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
th.gif

Ok.... if free range doesn't mean "ranging around free in the yard without roofs, walls or restrictions".... what IS the correct word for that?

My hens live in a 99sf hen house & have a 63sf outside run available 24/7... I wouldn't consider them free ranging, they are cooped chickens.

My boys have a shelter with a roof & no walls to sleep in, the rest of the time they are free to roam around our acre of land... I thought that was free ranging.

You are absoulutely correct. A chicken is not free range as long as it is contained in any way. My chickens get a little free range time every day and it is VERY dangerous. I have had to cancel it the past few days because a hawk has taken up residence here.
sad.png

Free range does not mean without a pen.

I didn't know that, MissPrissy! Thank you. I always thought "free range" meant they were able to wander anywhere outside of a pen.

Heck, I have free range chickies and didn't even know it. Thanks for the clarification.​

Quote:
th.gif

It all depends who you talk to, USDA says if they CAN get outside you can call them free range.(most will not be able to get outside because there is not enough room outside of the building for all the chickens to get out, and they wont want to go outside because thier food is inside)

I wouldnt consider the ones with a enclosed run 6x10 as free range, but you could if you wanted to since they do have access to an outside area.

Your others are definately free range, a little too free if you ask me. I consider mine free range. BUT mine do go inside at night. Every morning I open the coop door and they have a range of 4 acres(a little more because they go to the neighbours on both sides) No Fences is free rangeing if you ask me, in a pen is not free ranging but who am I to say??

ivan3, I'm digging up CDs today. There's a large beech tree over my run. Beeches tend to hold onto most of their leaves during the winter, but the drought has caused a lot of them to fall. I can see hawks circling all day, but it's a tight squeeze getting in between the coop and the tree and the nursery pen and the big fence... I think the CD trick might make them forget about us altogether.

Quote:
No I dont think I am Trolling or a Troll depends on who you ask though, I am stateing a FACT that freeranging can be widely ranged, If you are put in prison but allowed into a outdoor yard are you truely free?? Same basic concept according to some prisoners with access to the outdoors are FREE. I know not the same, but think about it that is what freeranging in a PEN is.

Back
Top Bottom