Loss of feathers, no eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Jon

Jon New Egg

Nov 10, 2007
    I have 4 hens 1 rooster, have been healthy looking and good egg producers until 3 week ago when the hens started losing feathers and egg production stopped completely. Tried antibiotics from co op, but no change. One hen looks pretty sad, almost raw from loss of feathers, but all seem to act fine, anyone can help?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you've checked them for mites/lice, then what's happening is molting, most likely. When they replace their feathers, they usually stop laying for a brief period to use all their nutrients for feather growth. Doesn't sound like they needed antibiotics. I have a bunch in various stages of molt right now. Some stopped laying, some didn't.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sounds like they are in molt. it happens once a year.

Don't give chickens antibiotics unless you know 100% what kind of problem you're dealing with.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    molt is really hard on a bird... A good general nutritional/vitamin supplement is recommended in this period

5. Jon

Jon New Egg

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks, I will watch them closely and stop the antibioctics

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Some of us give yoghurt with cat crunchies in it for the extra protein. I give mine Tender Vittles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by