lossing feathers how can I help them?

Littlefox26

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Amelia VA

I have had this girl for almoat a year. She is the only one I have that is this bad. I have 4 other hens that have some mild feather loss at the base of their tails. Up until two weeks ago they where the only ones laying eggs. I have another 15 or so hens that have or are about to start laying. What im wondering is the feather loss do to the roo? Or have they been picking on the one in the picture? She isn't at the bottom of the pecking order and I have seen her putting some of the younger hens in their places.anyone with more experiance have any ideas?

That's the way my hens look when they're molting. Just random feather loss, some awkwardly pointing different directions.
About the feather loss at the base of their tail, that sounds like just regular roo damage. What's the ratio of hens to rooster? It could also be depluming mites, here's an article on them.
http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/the-chickenvet-talks-about-depluming-mites
You can check for them on the base of the feathers in the damaged areas.

Thanks emmaie892000 I will have to check them over for the mites. The one pictured is the only one with this strange feather loss which started about 4 months ago. The others are just at the base of the tail. Right now there are 7 hens that are laying I have 13 more that should start laying in less than a month (I hope).It was previously only 5

Back
Top Bottom