lost 11 chickens in 7 days need help need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamiesc, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jamiesc

jamiesc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I have loast 11 chickens in the last seven days
    I susspect its mareks the chickens were fine then the day befor they die they have no energy and stand there with there eyes closed then about 3 hours later they seem paralised on there left side and 5-7 hours later they pass away and its getting worse everyday today alone seven of the eleven chickens died
    Is there anything I can do help its not lice I checken over every single one I have heaps of mosquitos could that of contribute?
    Any help much appreciated

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I would isolate the chickens that are well in another area. Do you have probiotic for chickens? That would probably help to.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Jamie where do you live? When you say the chicken is paralyzed, is the chicken stiff (wings & legs) before they die?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  4. jamiesc

Sep 15, 2014
    I live at redland bay south east queensland australia and no there not stiff it like laying in the sun when they dust bath but Ive picked them up then they just stand there and its like they are really depressed and then lay back down and then die

And im getting mellow wash, lice dust and im going to worm them all today I have lost another chicken since I started this post I cant believe how what ever this is spreads so quick I have isolated the chickens the first day I noticed this also family farm

5. enola

I think you need to treat them with Corid for coccidia. I would not hurt to worm them with Safeguard. Don't use Wasine, it only kills round worms.

6. jamiesc

Sep 15, 2014
    Aww okay and what is corid coccidia enola?

7. enola

Corid is the medicine for treating the disease coccidiosis. Caused by a protozoa that occurs naturally in soil. You will find Corid in the cattle medicines. Corid is put in their drinking water. How old are your chickens ?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't think they have Corid in AU, but they do have something called amprolium 200.

-Kathy

9. enola

I keep forgetting that!

10. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I feel terrible for you! Get a dead one to the vet ASAP !! Only a vet can tell you what's going on. We all mean well, but you NEED a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by