Lost 3 chickens in 3 days, the rest are ill and soon to fallow

Wagon Burner

Hatching
May 8, 2015
2am I heard a chicken choke/screech like it was punched in the throat. By the time I got to her it was too late. Nothing attacked her, it just seemed random. 36hrs later another was found lifeless. Both had a baseball size puddle of bloody mucus next to them. The others now have the diarrhea and are not eating or drinking much. I recently planted Gooesberries, Peas, Grapes and black berries near there fence to fortify perimeter from anything digging under. I removed the gooseberries due to one conflicting report that they may be toxic. The plant was isolated from them 6 hours before the first hen died, so I'm thinking its not the cause. Please help!

Just lost the 3rd

Last edited:
2am I heard a chicken choke/screech like it was punched in the throat.  By the time I got to her it was too late. Nothing attacked her, it just seemed random.  36hrs later another was found lifeless.  Both had a baseball size puddle of bloody mucus  next to them.  The others now have the diarrhea and are not eating or drinking much.  I recently planted Gooesberries, Peas, Grapes and black berries near there fence to fortify perimeter from anything digging under.  I removed the gooseberries due to one conflicting report that they may be toxic.  The plant was isolated from them 6 hours before the first hen died, so I'm thinking its not the cause. Please help!

Just lost the 3rd

How old are they? When you say bloody mucus are you talking from their mouths or did it come from the poop? I don't know what it could be if it came from the mouth, but if these are birds that are still less than a year old, maybe they are infected with Coccidiosis? That would leave blood in the stool, and it kills them quick. I'm not sure if flu leaves blood. Treat them with Corid, but if they are dropping like flies and you see some respiratory signs, you should call the state vet. I don't know for sure, but I don't think they charge you for testing birds for flu if you are losing birds.

They are all around 18 months. I was planning on thinning them out with new but not this way or this soon. The mucus with blood could be from both, but I'm sure it is coming from vent. There are no signs of respiratory issues. Noticed this morning there stool is starting to come back, but not on all of them.

Back
Top Bottom