Lost 3 of 4 chicks to hawk

kchron01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 15, 2013
South Central PA
Over the past 2 weeks I have lost 3 of 4 chicks to hawks, despite them being in cages or pens. Now I'm left with 1 six week old chick to move into the coop with 9 older pullets. It seems so small to not have a similar sized friend with it. Not sure what to do. I did make boxes with a small opening so she can go in and hide from them if need be. I will put one in the coop and one in the pen. Also added a second feeder and water. Suggestions?

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You are going to have to be careful with your remaining chickens now, that hawk obviously knows it's on to a good food source and they can be surprisingly determined and able to gain access to your coop if they want to. I thought years ago my chicks were safe in their little coop until I came home one day and found a hawk in there with them!

The best way to introduce the youngster to the pullets and keep her safe would be to keep her in a separate area within the main coop/run from where she can see and interact with the pullets. Keep her in there for a few weeks before letting her mingle with them. If possible see if you can get her a friend or 2 of more or less the same age, as this will make things a lot easier for her.

Thanks, my husband made a box for her inside the coop. Getting her a friend or 2 probably isn't possible at this point so hopefully all will go well.

Back
Top Bottom