Lost 7 hens last night :(

SharW75

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
Ohio
My mom called me early this morning to tell me that my niece had opened up Mom's coop and found a dead chicken. The coop is old, but has been well predator-proofed, and nothing has gotten in since she started keeping chickens. Unfortunately, they were a little late closing the coop up last night, and I think the coon was already inside when they shut the door. :( When I got there, I opened the door to absolute carnage. Bodies everywhere. As I was talking to my mom on the phone letting her know what was happening, I found the culprit. The damn raccoon was still in the coop! I quickly ran home (we live only about 1/4 mile apart) and got the gun. I'm not a killer and I usually take no pleasure in killing predators, but I have to admit, this kill was satisfying. I spent the morning crying and burying the poor birds, who never did anything to anyone. We raised them at our house and they were all just the tamest, sweetest girls. 😭

Im glad it didnt get them all, but i know that doesnt lessen the pain for the ones who were killed. The words "im so sorry" just dont seem sufficient. Ive had a similiar thing happen (neighbors two dogs) where i came upon the scene of carnage and slaughter. The dogs were still there "hunting" and the loss would have been much worse if i hadnt intervened. The surviving hens were Very traumatized and stressed; i spent the following two days sitting with them in their coop (they didnt want to come outside) telling them how sorry i was, but "i was glad they (the survivors) were still here." The surviving hens and i were All in a state of horror and shock.

Spend time today/tomorrow with Your survivors if u have time. ALL of you are traumatized; but hopefully you and survivors can find some comfort in each others presence.

Back
Top Bottom